ETSS Skimmer Club!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15029467#post15029467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cnaegler
Ostrow,
Do you run an ETSS 1000 on your tank as well? Thanks jdieck, i'm in the process of as we speak.
I used to run an older model 1000 which I converted to 1500, if I remember well I was running 62 balls with an iwaky 70 RLT.

I'm running an older model 1000 with a panworld 200. I went ahead and upped it to 63 balls to see how it goes.

HEY :)

HEY :)

....pretty cool reading posts on those ETSS SKIMMERS :). I used to work for Gary,(the owner), building them when he was running the shop out of his basement and fighting for his Pat #. I still have that little ole ETS 600 skimmer. Still has the Pat. pending # on it lol. In the almost 15 years i`ve owned it , its only had to be reglued once in a small spot.
Now, its skimming a 430 gal modified Environmental Gradient Cryptic Sponge/Sea Squirt filtration system. It`s working great.

Ok, update. i went up to 63 balls and it seems to work alot better. I'm going back to what balls i had in it originally... which was 65. I also like the idea of gating back the pump a little to save on electricity.
I want to thank Ostrow for making me reconsider getting a new needlwheel/ mesh skimmer. i didn't need to spend the extra money on that when i have a good skimmer here at home. So... i spent a bunch on some acan lord colonies instead :)

I haven't had much success with my ETSS 600. Maybe it's my impatience, but I can't find the sweet spots. I'm looking to sell this beautiful skimmer :(

.....what size pump are you using for it??? I currently use a Gen-X PCX 40. Seems perfect. I HAD used a Iwaski 55 RLT...we were testing various sized pumps for the 600 with different nozzle fittings.......OOOH that 600 went like a bat out of he** then. But no, the 55 was a bit much hehe.

ok so i was just tweaking with the skimmer a bit more... i hooked up my hammerhead to it and it finally produced good bubbles. the only problem is that my hammerhead is for the return.. i have an iwaki that i can set up to the skimmer but how much pressure do i need?

if i dont have enough pressure when i raise the water level in the skimmer, my air feed dies
what do i do?

for an ETSS 600 an Iswaki 40 rlt,(Jap model) or Gen-x 40 should be all you need. Either way make sure it`s a pressure rated pump. Remember it will take about 3 days for your skimmer to "break in".
So, once you set it, watch it. Once it reaches the break in point, it really cranks and you may have to adjust the gate valve. Also, remember, adjusting no more then 1/4 turn in a 24 hour time is a safe practice.

ETSS 2000

ETSS 2000

Picked up an ETSS 2000, what size pump and line do you recommend? How would it perform off a 1 hp pump using a manifold to feed the 6 tanks also?

Also DPalm, if your going to use your return pump to power your skimmer, the return pump must be large enough to not only give you the proper turnover rate for your main but also enough pressure to drive the skimmer. In addition, to do that you`ll have to Tee off your main return line, use a ball valve(to control the pressure to the skimmer), then a quick disconnect to make servicing the pumps and skimmer much more practical. I used 2 seperate pumps for the return and skimmer along with ball valves and quick disconnects for both pumps and skimmer.

thanks for the advice Nomadic.
my current system uses a hammerhead for the return but Ts off for the chiller and refugium already so there's not enough pressure for all 4 outlets (return included).
i think im going to start using the iwaki pump

Dpalm, I run an ETSS 1000 T-ed off a Hammerhead, that runs my whole system -- 16' upstairs to the display, 8' across to fuge and frag tank, UV, carbon and purigen. I have the skimmer on the 1st T before all of those others. And the pump is still throttled back a bit.

If a Hammerhead can run all of that, it ought to be able to run your setup with the 600.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15048695#post15048695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cnaegler
Ostrow,
How did you go about modding the 1000 into a 1500?
A larger pump and the taller top raiser of the 1500. Everything else is the same for both.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15049114#post15049114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
A larger pump and the taller top raiser of the 1500. Everything else is the same for both.

So, if i called Gary over at aetech, i could get the 1500 top, taller riser tube. The only thing i worry about with that is that i have the older model ETSS 1000 with a 1 1/4" output. Do you guys think that'll handle the extra flow from the input of a bigger pump(panworld 250 OR Iwaki 100 RLT) OR do ya'll think that the panworld 200 (hi-pressure, 1750 GPH) will work. I'm already having to gate the pump output back to keep my level down so i'm thinking that i could always open it a little more for the taller riser tube. Whatcha guys think?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15050684#post15050684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cnaegler
So, if i called Gary over at aetech, i could get the 1500 top, taller riser tube. The only thing i worry about with that is that i have the older model ETSS 1000 with a 1 1/4" output. Do you guys think that'll handle the extra flow from the input of a bigger pump(panworld 250 OR Iwaki 100 RLT) OR do ya'll think that the panworld 200 (hi-pressure, 1750 GPH) will work. I'm already having to gate the pump output back to keep my level down so i'm thinking that i could always open it a little more for the taller riser tube. Whatcha guys think?
The output will handle the higher flow from the larger pump although I will try to run it with the 200 you already have (IMO it will run fine) and yes Gary can sell you the top. A side note: Although the flanges and riser diameter are the same, the holes in the flanges are usually cut as a matched pair so Gary will need the measurement of the distance between oposing center holes for the flange screws just to insure that the new flange at the bottom of the riser will match.

Well, I e-mailed gary at AETech. He says i would need to ship him the skimmer so they could replace the parts/gate valve with a 1 1/2 one. He's also recommending that i use at least a 1/3 hp Iwaki 100 or even better a 1/2 hp Iwaki.
That's about $200.00 in shipping, not to include replacement parts/ labor and the cost (?) of a new pump. Not to include the power to run such a beast. Just seems like alot of money for something i'm not so sure of. My current 1000 seems to be working fine for now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15053721#post15053721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cnaegler
Well, I e-mailed gary at AETech. He says i would need to ship him the skimmer so they could replace the parts/gate valve with a 1 1/2 one. He's also recommending that i use at least a 1/3 hp Iwaki 100 or even better a 1/2 hp Iwaki.
That's about $200.00 in shipping, not to include replacement parts/ labor and the cost (?) of a new pump. Not to include the power to run such a beast. Just seems like alot of money for something i'm not so sure of. My current 1000 seems to be working fine for now.

Major PITA to ship, plus, guaranteed something would break. Would he charge yo umore to fix what breaks?

Back