ETSS Skimmer Club!

I am looking into an etss skimmer for my set up. 180g sps and fish, 75g softie tank, 100g sump, 40g refugium. Would that be a 800 or 900 professional xr?

Thanks!

They are both great skimmers and will have the ability to over skim your system if you so choose.The question between the two is if you have the height for the 900 and if so this skimmer is a beast.Softies may not be so happy if you keep this thing cranking at full volume (plenty of feeding is required) but if you have the space it does out preform the shorter models.

I would think the 600 would do the tank just fine if you drive it with a 55 and do regular maintenance but more power on hand is always nice.

I think its a 1400, it came with the skimmate collection cup with a ping pong ball for shut off and another cup with carbon for the intakes. I have it on a 350 with a 90 gallon refugium and 40 gallon sump.

Any DIY'ers building a ETSS auto neck cleaners?

Now that would be great !! We would almost need something that cleans every couple of days before the heavy build up .

I would think if we could get a high pressure water blast in the neck area and then force it to over flow to remove buildup from skimmer

I noticed that my production has dropped off and I am thinking I may need to clean or replace the bio balls . How often are people replacing or cleaning these ?

So I am trying to figure out if this an older reef devil? I picked up a blueline 30 to power it and I have to throttle it way back.
DSC_7815.jpg

I just got the same skimmer as Gill_bucket's given to me. I am trying to figure out how I am going to plumb this thing... Seems like a huge pain.

I just got the same skimmer as Gill_bucket's given to me. I am trying to figure out how I am going to plumb this thing... Seems like a huge pain.

I have not had much luck with mine. :twitch: I'm sure it's operator error but that doesn't make it work any better. :sad2:

Hello all,

I bought a 175 fowlr tank a few months back. It came with a coralife 125 skimmer which is no where near big enough for what i want to do with the tank.

Im heading up to West Palm tomorrow to pick up my new baby. A ETSS 800 XR. My current skimmer is in my sump which is how i would like to mount this one. It will be a tight fit but it should fit. I planned on using a Mag 12 to push it which from what i understand should be more than enough.

I just wanted to get some feedback on the unit itself and if anyone can see any problems i may encounter. Here is my current skimmer and the area where this puppy is going to go...
2011-10-08143708.jpg

I appreciate any help,
Jason

I just replaced my bioballs after about 8 years - slightly more than they recommend :) - does seem to make an improvement, but nothing over the top

[...]I'm using an ETSS1000[...]

My impression is that it's powerful but tricky to adjust.

Now I "get it" a little more and I am generating consistent dry foam. Reading the instructions helped.

This skimmer has something of a bad rep in my club, I'm the fourth owner!

• High flow skimmers (spray/becket/downdraft) are definitely tricky do dial in.
  • Reading the instructions definitely helps on these guys.
  • It is possible to feed the skimmer too much water (valve) or too much air (add/remove some bio balls).
  • Setting your drain up correctly to not be submerged helps.
  • Only adjust your skimmer drain valve based on the skimmate that's produced - NOT based on the current performance in the skimmer reaction chamber. (Yes, this requirement is real!!)
  • 4th owner? This skimmer could be considered somewhat old-fashioned in 2011 given all the progress we've seen in bubble-making. (Compare bubble-size on your ETSS to any needle-wheel and you'll see why they had to make your skimmer so damn big.) That said, if one reads the instructions and has patience to dial in based on the skimmate as noted, it's a fine skimmer.
  • It's actually a ***** to maintain due to the 99 thumb-screws. Tune the skimmer to skim just a little wet to increase waste extraction and cut down on necessary cleanings. All I do on mine now is pop off the heads (one set of thumb screws per skimmer!!) and swab down the inside by hand with an acrylic-safe sponge and tap water once a day. Takes about ten minutes from start to finish, including draining/rinsing the bucket too. Not bad, but in the same amount of time I can almost do a total breakdown including cleaning both pumps on the biggest needlwheel I run.

Good luck!

-Matt

I change my bioballs and spray nozzles every year, seems to increase production. I'm turning over my total system volume 3 times an hr. I use a Reeflo Marlin to push it. Here's some pics of my ETSS 2500XR, I call it "The Beast".

skim4d.jpg

skim5c.jpg

skim3b.jpg

skim2a.jpg

Last edited:
On my ETSS 800, how do I know when it "kicked in"? right now I have the big foam bubbles (size of a quarter) 1-2: below the first riser all the way up to the waste cup (but not quite overflowing yet).

New Here & Interested In An E.T.S.S. Skimmer

New Here & Interested In An E.T.S.S. Skimmer

Hi,

New to this forum & RC. My tank is a 65g with 20g L sump/refugium. It's cycling now but decided to add a skimmer ASAP to make plumbing and life going forward simpler. Have Pukani rock (57 lbs in DT) and 3+ in sump for now. Otherwise, aside from 1" substrate in DT (Special Grade Reef Sand) no livestock, coral, etc. Will start stocking after skimmer installed and leaning toward nothing too aggressive fowlr to only reef safe community fish just to keep it easier for me. But no decisions yet on specifics -sorry to be vague.

I think any of these will be good for me now. (Have a broken Reef Devil in hand (not sure if I can/will repair):

• Reef Devil
  • Sump Buddy 40
  • Evolution 400
Wish list goals:

• Place skimmer along the outside of sump
  • Drill the 20g L sump for return: not clear where on water line of sump that is done.
  • Direct connect input of skimmer to "T" coming off the G-H 700 1.5" drain from tank.
  • Avoid addition of pump if that is possible; if not, smaller/efficient is better
  • Auxillary DIY collection container to sit along side skimmer. Have space for the 1-gallon I bought at Wal*
Need your input on:

• Plumbing
  • Feasibility of my goals
  • Guidance on downside and keeping from making any more dum newb mistakes than necessary... lol :spin2:
Glad to be aboard! :)

Larry

Ok.. what am I doing wrong? I'm overflowing my waste cup... when my valve is 95% open? I have 13 bioballs in each tower, iwaki 40-rxt pump on my 800. Soon as it kicks in it overflows my 1 gallon waste bucket. Should I add more bioballs?

Back