evergrow it2080 and lighting spectrum for corals

fishtank_dan

hi guys
been doing lots of research on this over the last couple of days, but most of the stuff im finding is years old and as we all know, more and more is found out over time.

i have an evergrow it2080 pro reef led light unit, i want to modify the unit to make it as beneficial as possible by changing the colour or k rating of some of the led chips.
what spectrums would i need to consider for enhanced coral colour / growth and health (i know this can vary for different corals)

my first thoughts were to reduce the red led's from 4 to 2 and replace these with a 20000k aqua glow colour? my parameters are all fine but i am having an issue with algae growth towards the top of the tank and i have red that the red/green colour can promote lgae growth but doesnt add much for the corals as the 6500k leds have a spectrum which covers this anyway

has anyone played around with the colour combinations in a evergrow unit and had good or better results than a standard pro reef unit?

any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Don't waste your time, effort or money with changing leds. The fixture has everything you need in the way of spectrum. I had 2 of them over my 180g sps & lps tank for 4 years and it did great (before the tank developed a 30gph leak!)

If you are really convinced that the red or green leds are the source of your algae problem, just put black electrical tape over them. After a few weeks if the algae problem goes away, great... if it doesn't, then you know the red and green leds weren't the problem in the first place. You might as well be sure before you spend money on leds you don't need and take the time to do all the work that isn't necessary.

Back