Exquisite Wrasse

Buddy55

Just got this in from live aquaria. Should be Maldives variant. What switch the white spots on his head? Like scars or old age blemish. He is in QT now and eating. He swims and is active but he does not look right to me. Opinions? Do I need to reach out to live aquaria?

a>

a>

Last edited:
Yes called them and tell them what is going on with the fish if you tell them before the live guarantee period is up & it dies by chance they usually with still honor their guarantee. From past experience of buying coral from them

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

In prazi pro. It almost looks like whatever it extends across the dorsal and appears to be erroded? It's jagged and I know this species should have a smooth dorsal. He will barely extend it during feeding. Hopefully not Brook because a flame wrasse is in there. I reached out to LA but haven't heard back. I'm not gonna be very happy if this goes bad. The purple tang they send me was infested with ich, I immediately plopped him in full copper and a month later is happy in my DT.

Waiting to for LA to respond will be too late if Brook. They go down fast . I don't remember Prazi being drug of choice for Brook. I won't order from LA anymore . To me the guarantee is not worth seeing fish come in that way. I have had my own experience . Got shipped fish in middle of winter and no heat packs . Although that was before the change in ownership, but seeing what they sent you just sends the message that things have not changed. Fish did not do well some dead . Called them and quick to say they would send more . To me that s not the point . Callousness . So until people stop buying from them will they consider changing the way they handle fish . Unfortunately they are not the only one. I am trying to buy captive raised when I can and from LF that try . Even they get fish from many wholesalers that could careless. So on the horizon I see limited selection but to me worth it in long run . Biota , ORA , Poma labs , Sea &sea .and others. Just wish I could buy direct from them all rather than middlemen. Poma sells directly . Algae barn sells biota mandarins . I see Biota dwarf coral beauty on La DD but still won't purchase from them .

I did some reading, some forums mention metro as a possible treatment for Brook. Used some of that, his white blotchiness has minimally decrease, he is eating but he has an arch in his back, head down posture and listliss, rocking on his side at rest. Flame wrasse is still good. Doing a 25%wc today. Adding pic of raised dorsal and showing erosion.
a>

I recommended formalin dip and listed fishvet that has info on brook . Brook or velvet either one responds to formalin . Although both parasites kill quickly, I don't know if the fish would have survived anyway . By the time someone sources formalin and treats them it's usually too late . Best to have formalin on hand or at least quick cure or some form of ick med that contains formalin .

This is ick. The erosion of the fin is usually caused by a secondary bacterial infection caused by parasites I would give this fish an acriflavin bath to help with the bacterial and get copper dosed in the tank you will need to get cu levels up to therapeutic levels a bit quicker I would shoot for 3 days, do not add any other meds or water conditioners to the tank while treating with cu. you may have to give several acriflavin baths to manage the bacterial infection, it is just as dangerous to the fish as the ick. This is not brooklynella however you are correct metroplex will treat brooklynella as will acriflavin and formalin

The white appearance of the face and body has improved. I suspect a case of swim bladder has set in. LA took care of me on the fish already. Excellent costumer service. I have been Target feeding, he is alert and wants to eat but he can't hardly swim. I've used epsom salt now. I reckon he won't accept peas so not going to try. If it wasn't for swim bladder issue I would say he would be almost fully turned around from his arrival condition. Maybe he will improve over the next few days.

Back