falure then success?

What Dee is saying is to let the tank sit, don't change nothing. Keep up your regular maintenance and don't change anymore things.

Thank you guys for listening, tring to understand and helping me out with my setup. I took some pictures today so you can see whats going on in my tank (thread just isn't the same with out pics);) Here is everything, including some hair algae on this one rock.

Attachments

• DSCN1523.jpg
    DSCN1523.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1522.jpg
    DSCN1522.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1521.jpg
    DSCN1521.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1520.jpg
    DSCN1520.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1519.jpg
    DSCN1519.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
more

more

here are some more

Attachments

• DSCN1518.jpg
    DSCN1518.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1517.jpg
    DSCN1517.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1515.jpg
    DSCN1515.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1514.jpg
    DSCN1514.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1513.jpg
    DSCN1513.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
and

and

some more

Attachments

• DSCN1511.jpg
    DSCN1511.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1510.JPG
    DSCN1510.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1508.jpg
    DSCN1508.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1507.jpg
    DSCN1507.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1506.jpg
    DSCN1506.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1
a few

a few

more

Attachments

• DSCN1506.jpg
    DSCN1506.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1503.jpg
    DSCN1503.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1505.jpg
    DSCN1505.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1
My Purple deaths and some other one I don't know the name off melted away a few weeks ago. Also I have had a few zoa's that have puckered up for no reason that I know off and they still are coming down, this is why I know somethings up. These look like they are next to go, the tentacles are shriving up they don't look happy.

Attachments

• Next.jpg
    Next.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
My Purple deaths and some other one I don't know the name off melted away a few weeks ago. Also I have had a few zoa's that have puckered up for no reason that I know off and they still are coming down, this is why I know somethings up. These look like they are next to go, the tentacles are shriving up they don't look happy.

IMHO they look a bit stressed.

Questions

Did you have a bare bottom with your FOWLR or did you just remove the sand?

Did you rearrange you LR?

Either of these could cause a mini cycle. Which would be why I called it a new system.

Did you always have the T5's or is this a new fixture?

Adding more light/par can fuel algae growth.

Again just let it be I understand that you feel the need to do something really. But letting the system adjust and become stable will go a long way.
You're welcome we really are just trying to help.

~Dee~

Thanks Dee, let me see if I can answer you correctly.

Yes I agree they look stressed.

I was BB when FOWLR but added agronite over a year ago, but then removed the sand months ago. Through this time I went through an aglae blooms including hair and cyano which now the cyano is gone.

The rock has been this way for over a month now and I plan to leave it this way since it works well to remove detritus.

I do not believe I am in a mini cycle since I was out of the cycling and everything was going fairly way. Its only been the last few weeks I started noticing a decline in the zoa's and some paly's. The xenia are almost completly melted now (not like I wanted them anyway but its a good indicator that something is up)

I'm still going to do small water changed every other week about 10g at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks Dee, let me see if I can answer you correctly.

Yes I agree they look stressed.

I was BB when FOWLR but added agronite over a year ago, but I removed the sand months ago. Through this time I went through a few aglae blooms including hair and cyano which now the cyano is gone.

The rock has been this way for over a month now and I plan to leave it this way since it works well to remove detritus.

I do not believe I am in a mini cycle since I was out of the cycling and everything was going fairly way. Its only been the last few weeks I started noticing a decline in the zoa's and some paly's. The xenia are almost completly melted now.

So basically, shortly after you rearranged your rock your problems began?

If yes there's your first stresser. Since then everything you added, removed, or changed added to the stress. I know a few melted already some Zoa are more resilant then others. The ones you have left look okay just stressed a bit. Just keep up with your water changes and keep testing to make sure all perimeters stay stable. Don't move them at all corals hate to be moved around. Leave everything as is. Sit back and enjoy and you'll be doing fine.

So basically, shortly after you rearranged your rock your problems began?

If yes there's your first stresser. Since then everything you added, removed, or changed added to the stress. I know a few melted already some Zoa are more resilant then others. The ones you have left look okay just stressed a bit. Just keep up with your water changes and keep testing to make sure all perimeters stay stable. Don't move them at all corals hate to be moved around. Leave everything as is. Sit back and enjoy and you'll be doing fine.

Ok I did some research, its been one month since I've changed the blubs and rearranged the rocks (4-1-11). Its hard not to do anything when you see that things were better before. Man reefing is so stressfull at times.:mixed:

Ok I did some research, its been one month since I've changed the blubs and rearranged the rocks (4-1-11). Its hard not to do anything when you see that things were better before. Man reefing is so stressfull at times.:mixed:

You just learned the your first lesson in reefkeeping. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Your next lesson will be patience nothing good happens fast in reefkeeping. Once your system stablizes amd matures thing will get easier. ;)

~Dee~

I totally agree. Rearranging rock causes imbalance in your tank, you are actually lucky that only a few polyps melted or were lost. In my opinion, if you keep changing salt, water, light, feeding regiments or any other major husbandry habit you will only stress your zoas evenmore. Adequate lighting, adequate parameters medium flow and stability is the old recipe for zoas, it hasn't changed. I think we all understand when we try to "do something" to "save" the corals but we ultimately end up just stressing them more and dooming them.

LOL didn't know procrastination was the key in this hobby j/k guys;-) I do understanding waiting things out after you changed something which I do practice. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years with much success but that was when I was using sand bed, this whole BB / softies is different animal that I don't have licked yet. So what is a long enough time period you would wait before doing something as your "said corals" are going down hill. In a case when you see mulitiple corals start to shrink up and lose a colony you know something is a miss and tring to find it can be tuff. IMO doing something over doing nothing was story I felt at the time.

Back