fang blennies (Meiacanthus)

Biota M. grammistes are currently available in the UK too if you're after another species for the collection!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Yes I have seen them but I'm not sure they are tank bred. I have found the wild ones aren't as tolerant of other members of the same species when put in the same tank. Plus they are more secretive and much harder to keep.

all Biota fish are tank bred, i was going to buy one but decided on one of their tank bred mandarins instead

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Very cool, haydn! I love seeing groups of these in tanks, which is almost never.

I would love to find captive bred or tank-raised Meiacanthus atrodorsalis (the similar looking types don't win me over the way the color combo and that long forktail does), but I don't see them on the ORA list. I've heard they're relatively easy to breed, though. I know RC is picky about where you can/can't link to, so I won't, but if you google "breeding Meiacanthus atrodorsalis," you'll find an interesting paper with good information that likely applies to the all/most fang blennies. I know you don't mention that being your intent, but with as many as you have in there, you'll surely end up with eggs in no time.

Very cool, haydn! I love seeing groups of these in tanks, which is almost never.

Coo at my age I never thought I could be 'cool' The kids will be shocked:lolspin:

I would love to find captive bred or tank-raised Meiacanthus atrodorsalis (the similar looking types don't win me over the way the color combo and that long forktail does), but I don't see them on the ORA list. I've heard they're relatively easy to breed, though. I know RC is picky about where you can/can't link to, so I won't, but if you google "breeding Meiacanthus atrodorsalis," you'll find an interesting paper with good information that likely applies to the all/most fang blennies. I know you don't mention that being your intent, but with as many as you have in there, you'll surely end up with eggs in no time.

I like these as well and would like a group but I haven't seen any TB ones commercially available.

Thanks those papers are interesting and informative. It wasn't my intention to set up a breeding project but if it happens I will be worth trying to raise a few.

This is a really informative thread. OP, if you're still watching it, can you give us an update?

It's exciting to see that it may indeed be possible to keep more than 1 or 2 fang blennies in a decent size tank...

Years ago I bought a CB pair of M. smithii, the "disco fangblenny". They got along great and even hid together in the rockwork at night or when they were startled.

Back