fans and wiring issue

alecia.dooley

I added 6 fans (3 to either end) of my lights. They are set into either end of my wooden stand/lid. 22g wire, 2 wires a piece, then coupled and the 3 and 3 spliced into the same size wire.

IS this where i screwed up?

Then I have 2 connectors one on either end, waterproof, to be able to remove the hood from time to time for mait. The reason the splices are needed. Wires, 4 now, 2 on each side, run under the tank stand and are spliced to plugs (2pin). They are plugged into a "whatever u call it" that can take up to 6 plugs (I am only using 2). I have had this running for at least 2 years and this is the 2nd time this piece of equipment has died on me.

I am trying to determine if it (the plug thing) is an inferior product or if I am sabotaging it with my wiring.

really need more details o be able to provide any kind of guidance
are the fans ac or dc, what are the voltage and amp draw of each
if DC what kind of power supply.

In addition to the information already requested I have a question. Are the fans blowing air into the canopy or are they sucking air out? I ask because if they are sucking the moisture laden air out then they will fail much quicker than if you are pushing clean dry air into the canopy.

One in and one out. I have had issues with the out from the get go but yes, quite a bit of buildup on both ends. Salt residue on the out and dust on the in.

The wire is a guess but 22g is mine. I still have the plugs but not the order info..eBay ony goes back to 2017 and I am guessing I did this in 15 or 16.

Any advice is appreciated.

The wire is a guess but 22g is mine. I still have the plugs but not the order info..eBay ony goes back to 2017 and I am guessing I did this in 15 or 16.

Any advice is appreciated.
I think that your best bet is to splice the fan wires together at each end and then the 2 ends together. Plugs are probably always going to corrode over time. I like this type of splice for making waterproof connections.
https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-E...=wire+splice&qid=1552151387&s=gateway&sr=8-10

You also need something to completely waterproof the connection, like this
https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-270Pc...shrink+tubing&qid=1552151514&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I use this method for all splices that might get damp or wet and have not had a failure yet
https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/how-to-make-a-weatherproof-cable-splice/

The only thing you need to decide is whether to connect the fans in series or parallel and what voltage to run them at. I would use parallel so that you can run all 6 fans at 12 volts, or whatever voltage you think is appropriate to get the flow you want and the noise you consider acceptable. In parallel means that the volts stay the same but the amps are added. So 6 12v fans in series would need 12 volts and 6 x the amp draw of each fan. If it is a typical fan, the amp draw is probably around 150 ma (but check this). Buy a power supply that can handle the amps you will need at 12 v like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Chanzon-Swit...upply+UL&qid=1552152107&s=electronics&sr=1-10

You could get a power supply that allows you to adjust the voltage to control the fan speed, but I do not see any of these that have good reviews and UL listing. I have an ancient one that I bought from Fry's electronics about 13 years ago that is still going strong.

Good luck.

I am guessing the issue is corrosion as your hub was not designed for a damp environment, let alone salt spray. You could silicone the back cover joint and use liberal amounts of electrical grease to help keep the moisture out. Water proof connectors are a better solution in the long run.

THX YOU!! for your replies...

I will look into using the heatshrink connectors once I figure out what way to go with this.

As far as I know the fans are working properly. The less voltage to the fans is not the culprit.

It is the adapter that has failed for the 2nd time. I am contacting someone through ebay (hopefully the company speaks english). It is this adapter that needs to be figured out IMO.

I can use heatshrink to splice to the fans, no issue there. But the problem is the plugs at each end. I do not want 3 plugs at each end, hence the splices.

Right now I have 2 plugs. One on each side. These plugs are waterproof so saltspray and moisture as the culprit is just an automatic response.

What would cause the adapter to go out on a regular basis other than faulty product? Is it possible that when splicing the 3 fans together it is pulling more amperage from the plug that it is designed for-could that be a thing?

BTW, I just used a can of compressed air to blow off all the dust on the fans and the vent covering them. Worked like a charm!

Also I am already using heat shrink n the wires. I forgot LOL.

So the pulling too much power is most likely the issue. Any ideas?

what size are the fans? if you have 6 fans running at .8amp per fan you have exceded the 2a limit that psu can supply.

Back