Favorite clam??

T Diddy

Happy to be here
I used to have a derasa clam that I really liked. I’ve been looking at others for my next build, and wanted some opinions from others. My fear is that the clams grow pretty large, and potentially outgrowing their designated space. That led me to consider the crocea clams, as they won’t exceed the size of our miniature reefs.

Thoughts?

Croceas have been a favorite of mine for size and color. I just suck at keeping clams so I don’t try anymore generally

I don’t currently have a Tridacna, but I’ve always been a huge fan of Croceas for exactly the reasons you’ve stated.
Croceas have been a favorite of mine for size and color. I just suck at keeping clams so I don’t try anymore generally
The derasa clams aren’t generally as striking in appearance, mostly because of the smooth mantle. Mine was roughly 3 inches when I purchased it. It had grown to nearly 8 inches within a couple of years.
A guy I knew at the time had a gigas that was larger than a basketball…quite impressive, really. The crocea species allows for size constraints, color and beauty, and even grouping multiple specimens together. They really are ideal.
All things considered, I may end up going with a maxima. They won’t outgrow a relatively large aquarium, but I’ll only have room for one.

Crocea if you have the lighting for it and keep good parameters. They are a bit more finicky than Derasa. I had a Derasa that was at least 12” at one point and anyone that stopped by absolutely loved it. It’s just your preference.

I love the gigas clam. LiveAquaria had some a few years ago. I began getting some growth, but a dino outbreak that I struggled with did it in. I probably won't get another due to their mature size as it could outgrow my 270, at least as far as fitting well with good lighting and flow. Once I'm ready, I'm leaning toward a derasa or squamosa.

I have a crocea. It is a lovely blue. They can be finicky. But I have good light. And a HOB filter. I know I should upgrade. It started out as a silly project. And now I have SPS corals, trachy and a clam in it.

Shelley

I have a crocea. It is a lovely blue. They can be finicky. But I have good light. And a HOB filter. I know I should upgrade. It started out as a silly project. And now I have SPS corals, trachy and a clam in it.

Shelley
Face it, you’re addicted. We all started out with a silly project like you described. I’m curious why you chose to start with a crocea? I still need to figure out which direction I want to go regarding clams.

It does not get very large. While I have it in a 40 breeder with a HOB filter I have a rather spendy light. I am not new to the hobby. I have several tanks. And keep regal angels and mandarins. My angels are getting an upgrade after over 5 years in a 140.

Face it, you’re addicted. We all started out with a silly project like you described. I’m curious why you chose to start with a crocea? I still need to figure out which direction I want to go regarding clams.
IMO, Croceas have great colors and, of the Tridacna species, they do not get as large as some of the others. Added bonus, most (if not all) on the market today are aquacultured.

IMO, Croceas have great colors and, of the Tridacna species, they do not get as large as some of the others. Added bonus, most (if not all) on the market today are aquacultured.
I’m still having a hard time deciding on the clam. The maximas would be ideal in terms of color and maximum size limit, but they’re extremely slow growers. The crocea species are beautiful, but I’m wondering if they are too small for what I’m trying to achieve (unless I place several as a showcase). I really enjoyed the derasa that I had previously. I know they grow waayyy too large, but I really do want a big clam in a short time. The best option would be to find a large maxima that someone is trying to get rid of.

Back