Feeding Lionfish,

AquaAlexCard93

Hello. I have been keeping saltwater fish only with live rock predatory aquariums for a couple years. I've kept puffers, triggers, and the like but never kept lionfish. I've always wanted lionfish but have read and heard that they are hard to feed and only eat live. I don't want to feed live shrimp and guppies. But I really like the looks of the zebra and volitan lionfish. Is it true they are hard to feed? I feed my fish market shrimp, tilapia, krill, frozen brine and mysis shrimp and other meaty foods. Do you think I could eventually get a lionfish to eat these foods?
Out of the zebra and Volitan lionfish which one would be the most easiest to get off live foods?
I know I am probably day dreaming but it would be cool to purchase a lionfish already off of live foods. :lolspin:

I was able to get my lionfish to take frozen food after a few days. When I brought him home, I started him on live guppies that had been acclimated to saltwater. As soon as they hit the water, he was on them. After about 3 days, I went with a piece of frozen (thawed of course) Krill. He didn't pay any attention to it. I let him go about a day and a half without eating so I knew he'd be hungry. This time I teased him with the krill by moving it around and getting him to come after it. After a few times of of doing that I dropped it almost on his face and he nailed it. Probably before he even knew what it was he had gulped it down. Kind of reminded me of a large mouth bass that's trying to kill your bait instead of eating it. I did the same thing for every other feeding and it's worked out well. I eventually switched it up with cut pieces of silversides and a few other things. He takes it all now without having to tease him with it. I just drop it where he can see it which is easy because he when he knows it's feeding time, he comes to the surface and almost comes out of the water anticipating his meal. Very cool fish! Good Luck!

I have been successful feeding dried krill by put on a skewer and make slight movements just below the surface. It may take a few times or couples of days, but they usually get the hang of it and will recognize krill as food.

Back