feeding, sand beds, and particle capture

To Eric Borneman: very interested in nutritional aspects and would appreciate your comments. Let us stipulate skimmerless systems. I am wondering about what happens to particles in systems with sand beds as compared to those in tanks without them such as set up by Steve Tyree. It seems that sediments will recycle products of photosynthesis in the form of larvae- most or all of which will be motile (is this correct?). Whereas an environmental gradient system will have a relative paucity of invertebrate larvae, and particles will be nonmotile. Marine snow has substantially different characteristics in terms of capturability and I am wondering about this.

My questions are- 1)Is my assumption that sand beds produce statistically overwhelmingly moibile packets of nutrition correct? 2) Capture of mobile forms has been clearly demonstrated to be a problem for nonphotosynthetic dendronephthya with weak nematocysts. To what extent is capture of mobile packets of nutrition a problem for the broad spectrum of corals? 3) Is the consumption of marine snow, and conversion to motile larvae, a limiting factor for sand beds? (That is, are sand beds competitive with consumers of marine snow?).

I am currently considering an EG tank, using a bare floor like Steve, but making the pillar of the reef flat to contain a one foot square twenty four inch deep DSB in the middle of the tank to support the reef flat, and place the cryptic zone in a box somewhere in this tower as well. This might look like a coral head when overgrown. This would provide some invertebrate larvae as well as marine snow. I am wondering about relative sizes of sand bed surface and bare tank bottom now, and that is why the questions about relative frequency of motile and nonmotile forms.

I admire your work and thank you for your time.

Hi Charles:

Could you clarify a few things for me before I answer?

>>very interested in nutritional aspects and would appreciate your comments. Let us stipulate skimmerless systems. I am wondering about what happens to particles in systems with sand beds as compared to those in tanks without them such as set up by Steve Tyree.<<

What kind of particles? Detrital? Sand?

>> It seems that sediments will recycle products of photosynthesis in the form of larvae- most or all of which will be motile (is this correct?).<<

Sediments recycle unused organic inputs (food), waste material, and dead organisms, mostly. I'm not sure how the products of photosynthesis fit in here - at least not directly...and also not sure how big a role photosynthesis has in producing larvae - at least not directly if at all.

>>Whereas an environmental gradient system will have a relative paucity of invertebrate larvae, and particles will be nonmotile.<<

What is an environmental gradient system?

>>Marine snow has substantially different characteristics in terms of capturability and I am wondering about this.<<

Different characteristics than what?

>>My questions are- 1)Is my assumption that sand beds produce statistically overwhelmingly moibile packets of nutrition correct? <<

I'm not sure if any statistical analysis has been done on the production of sand beds, but what is produced in terms of larvae is likely to vary significantly between tanks.

>>2) Capture of mobile forms has been clearly demonstrated to be a problem for nonphotosynthetic dendronephthya with weak nematocysts. To what extent is capture of mobile packets of nutrition a problem for the broad spectrum of corals? <<

Depends on the coral - soft corals tend to feed differently and on different things in terms of zooplankton, if at all. Stony corals feed heavily on zooplankton, but size and motility (escape, avoidance) of prey is always a factor in all corals.

>>3) Is the consumption of marine snow, and conversion to motile larvae, a limiting factor for sand beds? (That is, are sand beds competitive with consumers of marine snow<<

I don't think anyone has ever analyzed sand beds for limiting resources, and again will likely vary according to tank in any event. However, prticulate material is a resource that is utilized at many trophic levels and competition for this resource exists between corals, fish, sessile and motile invertebrates, and microbes - in the sand and in the tank.

>>I am currently considering an EG tank, using a bare floor like Steve, but making the pillar of the reef flat to contain a one foot square twenty four inch deep DSB in the middle of the tank to support the reef flat, and place the cryptic zone in a box somewhere in this tower as well. This might look like a coral head when overgrown. This would provide some invertebrate larvae as well as marine snow.<<

I confess I am not up on what Steve is doing in this regard. I know he has promoted the use of cryptic zones for sponge growth and the use of tunicates for something or another. I missed his talk at MACNA, and guess I need you to give me an overview of this whole concept. Offhand, I don't see how it differs from what ordinarily goes on in tanks under ordinary set-ups.

>>I am wondering about relative sizes of sand bed surface and bare tank bottom now, and that is why the questions about relative frequency of motile and nonmotile forms.<<

I'll answer more after reading your responses.

particle sizes and motility

particle sizes and motility

eric,

thanks for your reply. I'm really interested in this question, so I'll drop the references to Steve's works to clarify.

Nutrients are recycled by the sand bed primarily by production of larval forms. (I know there are other factors such as bioturbation, but I'm hitting the big picture here). And there forms are motile. So sand beds make nutritional particles that are mobile.

In aquariums that have no sand beds, (such as Steve's), and no form of export, detritus accumulates and is kept in suspension. Such particulate organic matter, or marine snow, is non motile.

So! My concern about nutrition is, how important is this difference in motility? How many organisms have weak nematocysts like dendros? The relevance here is that if I want to concentrate on a broader array of filter feeding organisms, it may well be that a sand bed competes with a bare bottom tank for whether nutritional particles in the water end up larvae or marine snow. And it may be that sand, as well as skimmers, are keeping all organisms dependent on marine snow from being kept in our systems.

For this reason, I was curious about your insights into relative importance of marine snow versus marine larvae in coral nutrition- and thus, whether sand beds may have limits in our aquaria.

Also- I am new to this forum and can't figure out how to find the threads again. Is there a way to search for all posts? They seem to get lost when I look for them. Thanks!

Hi Charles:

You have to sign in to the forum to see the posts.

On your question, rather than ask more questions, I'm just going to go out on the proverbial limb.

First, I don't think sand beds recycle primarily by production of larval forms. The whole basis of sand beds is as a habitat for parts in the detrital food chain. You may be somewhat correct in that the detritus provides the food for fauna in the sand bed which then has energy to reproduce, but the microbial biomass in sandbeds is still predominant in nutrient recycling.

If you have a bare bottom tank, there will still be consumers of detritus - but, they may not be as prolific, especially if the detritus is kept vacuumed or in suspension.

But, for arguments sake, let's say that the sand bed is a detrital sink, and that all the nutrients go into reprodcution of sand fauna which becomes larvally dispersed.

And, let's say bare bottom tanks detritus is not used as food for anything producing larval forms, but remains in suspension for suspension feeders.

Now, we have a matter of quantity and quality of these food sources. In this highly unlikely situation, you would have to look at the composition of the detritus, and assuming it is fairly avergae, the majority of the nutrition comes from bacteria that coat the particles. The larvae will be assumedly consistent with zooplankton values. Becasue you have moved up a trophic level, a energy rule of thumb is a factor of ten per trophic level, so there would have to be ten times the detritus to larvae to be equivalent. Plus, then we have to factor in who eats what. The larvae will probably also have a nigher percentage of protein.

Anyway - is one better than the other? Not really - I think they are both required, and given any tank, a shortage of one might be made up for by the other. The sheer absolutes invovled here also make such a comparison rather implausable and unrealistic, too. In general, the organisms that cannot or do not feed on zooplankton might be more likely to use particulate organic material if it is the right size. Bacteria and phytoplankton may also be big factors as a food resource depending on the animal.

Long and short of it is that I think a functional sandbed's benefits far outweigh any deficits that may occur by acting as a sink for particulate material.

Does this help any?

particle size

particle size

Dear Eric,

Very helpful answer, thanks!

Incidentally, the question isn't academic with respect to keeping tanks. Steve Tyree talks about environmental gradient tanks in his book, Sea Squirt and Sponge Filtration Techniques. Basically the detritus is kept in suspension in bare bottom tanks. Marine snow predominates here; and it made me wonder about the whether sand beds may compete with marine snow.

I note the problem with keeping dendros persists in spite of attempts at heavy feeding with phyto and in sand beds. Marine snow deficit? I wonder how many other weak nematocyst organisms may be effected by sand bed presence, and whether the sand bed-skimmer combination is the best for some filter feeding organisms, as opposed to EG tanks without skimmers, in which marine snow is preserved, and motile larval forms are fewer.

Also, there isn't a forced choice of either/or. A bare bottom tank without a skimmer, like Steve sets up to conserve marine snow, can also contain a deep sand tower for production of zooplankton. When thinking ahead about how to stimulate nutritional packets in the bulk aquarium water, one has the choice of how to apportion detritus processing, and it seems that this choice might well be made to favor say a coral tank, versus a nonphotosynthetic tank, etc, or to what degree one wished to accommodate certain kinds of habitats. With algal sccrubbers, mud tanks, and bare bottom EG tanks, we do have the ability to determine the mix of particles (larval vs. marine snow, and size) in the tank (but not yet the presence and nature of phytoplankton other thank simply adding it) and it seems little is known about this area- and it may well be important.

It may well be that if you take off the skimmer, anything you do from there will be OK, because you are going to have a very dirty and nutritious tank in terms of zooplankton AND marine snow. But it may not. It may be that an animal adapted to life below a coral flat, in deep water well above the benthic areas, will be irritated by zooplankton, and those adapted to herbivory may well need quality marine snow for protein needs. I note that the usual ratio of particles in the area in which dendros live is 10 to 1 phyto to zooplankton. Is it good for such an animal to be buffeted by so many motile forms it cannot capture? A dendro that cannot capture zooplankton may be starving in our tanks because of the sediment bed processing of what was to become marine snow.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. I have enjoyed your writings tremendously!

Hi again, Charles:

>>Incidentally, the question isn't academic with respect to keeping tanks. Steve Tyree talks about environmental gradient tanks in his book, Sea Squirt and Sponge Filtration Techniques.<<

I've been avoiding saying this, but feel I must at this point - and gave it some serious thought in prior posts. Steve is an accomplished aquarist. When you have kept corals and reef tanks for awhile, you get pretty good at the whole thing, and to be honest, its rather hard not to be successful so familiar are you with the needs of the animals. Steve, like Mike Paletta, and some others, have done a virtual 180 in terms of what they "promote" these days. These are the old -school hard core haevy skimmer use folks of yesterday that finally realized that running tanks with more food in the water column gave them better results - be it mud, sponge filtration, whatever. I'm glad they realized it. But, you have to realize that Steve is not a scientist, and that aquarium science in general is a bunch of anecdote for the most part. Some of it is probably very good anecdote and oservations can be very helpful. But, don;t assume that because it is written - be it by Steve, me, or anyone, that it is true, or proven. So, yes, it is kind of an academic question, because regardless of the suppositions in that book or this thread, I can assure you it is not so cut and dry. ;)

>>Basically the detritus is kept in suspension in bare bottom tanks. Marine snow predominates here;<<

No, you (and Steve?) assume it is. I would by no means be prepared to accept that as being true. It might be, and it might not be, but unless there is data to show it, don;t assume it to be true because it looks like it makes sense.

>> and it made me wonder about the whether sand beds may compete with marine snow.<<

Given the bioload of tanks/water volume, consider the following. Lots of detritus produced, virtaully all by the "rock and attached life" and by fish waste. If circulation remains high in the tank, some detritus remains suspended and is either skimmed/filtered or consumed. Some settles. I have yet to see a bare bottom tank that doesn't have any detritus on the bottom....mine always had pockets of detritus. So, let's assume some detritus is going to settle. In that case, either the sand fauna and flora gets to work on it, or bacteria and crustaceans do (in the bare bottom tank).

I have also never seen a tank with an established sand bed that, if stirred, did not have detirtus in it. Therefore, irrespective of ciirculation, some detritus is settling, sand or not...its just a matter of which way/who is going to utilize it - limited flora and fauna or larger diversity flora and fauna. The difference, all things being equal, I guess comes down to the frictional coefficient of bare glass versus sand grains...and that's a pretty small factor in the scheme of things.

>>I note the problem with keeping dendros persists in spite of attempts at heavy feeding with phyto and in sand beds.<<

Have you ever seen if even heavy feeding results in phyto populations equqivalent tothe wild? Neither have I. Also, feeding in Dendronephthya is very dependent on flow speed. With the wrong flow speed, either no feeding or reduced capture rates. So all the phytoplankton in the world might not be helpful. Also, phytoplankton products tend to be Nannochloropsis....a very very small phyto. the small particles may be passing right through the pinnules of the polyp tentacles.

>>Marine snow deficit? I wonder how many other weak nematocyst organisms may be effected by sand bed presence, and whether the sand bed-skimmer combination is the best for some filter feeding organisms, as opposed to EG tanks without skimmers, in which marine snow is preserved, and motile larval forms are fewer.<<

Why does it have to be one or the other? Maybe skimmed tanks need to be fed more often to keep food in the wtaer column? Any food you add to the tank, if not alive, is basically detritus. Our tanks are very low in zooplankton, probably not so low in detritus (if you dont skim heavily). I'd say the zooplankton aspect needs more work than the detritus aspect, in general. But, for most tanks I see, they both need work. I am 100% in agreement with you that we lack the numbers and types of particulate filter feederrs, but think you can blame skimming more than sand beds for that. I know for a fact you don;t need an "EG system" or a "Jaubert" system, or and "Ecosystem system" to run a tank without a skimmer. I think much of this is all hype promoted by those who market it. It's their little "kitch" - the litte tagline they have concocted to become better recognized. All it is is basic biological and ecological processes scaled down to a fragment and in a way that is understandable to them and the masses - and sells a bit, to boot.

>>Also, there isn't a forced choice of either/or. A bare bottom tank without a skimmer, like Steve sets up to conserve marine snow, can also contain a deep sand tower for production of zooplankton. <<

Kee-rist. You gotta be kidding me? I can't even go there.

>>When thinking ahead about how to stimulate nutritional packets in the bulk aquarium water, one has the choice of how to apportion detritus processing, and it seems that this choice might well be made to favor say a coral tank, versus a nonphotosynthetic tank, etc, or to what degree one wished to accommodate certain kinds of habitats. With algal sccrubbers, mud tanks, and bare bottom EG tanks, we do have the ability to determine the mix of particles (larval vs. marine snow, and size) in the tank (but not yet the presence and nature of phytoplankton other thank simply adding it) and it seems little is known about this area- and it may well be important.<<

Of course its important. What's needed is for someone so inclined to go around and sample various tanks and see what's in the water column. then, do the same with various inputs.

You see, all this is contingent on two things - tow very simple things, actually. Primary and secondary production. Primary production can provide the basic energy input to systems. that's pretty much photosynthetic organisms. They use sunlight and inorganic nutrientss and kick off the food chain providing energy as a food souce to everything else (except chemoautotrophs, but let's not go there). In turn, those things that eat the primary producers feed other things or die and feed the microbes. Now, we can't make it in terms of primary production in tanks. We don't an ocean of algae, seagrasses, and phytoplankton to feed the secondary producers, much less at the animal biomass we keep in tanks. That's why we feed the tank. You feed the tank either live foods or dead foods. One can be considered as phytoplankton and/or zooplantkon, the other particulate organic material (marine snow). That's it. Now, if the particulate food is of higher quality than detritus, and we provide enough of it, we don't need detritus at all. If we don't feed enough, we may need the detritus. Basically, we need to provide enough food through light and feeding to sustain everything in the tank and have it grow and reproduce. There are a thousand and one ways to do it. Most people don't do it. I don't even do it, or I'd have all those filter feeders growing in my tank - I have lots more than most people, but not as much as the reef.

So, I need either: more phytoplankton, more zooplankton, more detritus, more large prey items, more bacterioplankton, more dissolved nutrients. That's our choice of foods. I have more dissolved nutrients than the ocean. So, got that licked. I have lots of marine snow - don;t know if its as nutritious as ocean snow, but in looking under a microscope, I seem to have the same amounts as the ocean (no skimming, but also no EG, mud, whatever). Got that licked, I think. So, what am I missing? The other things, obviously. I suspect most people are lacking in the detrital component. So, that means either throwing more food in the tank (could be any component, since detritus is dead material and it will all become dead at some point, even if using live foods), or removing less of it. Lots of ways to do that, too.

Sand beds foster predominantly microbial communities, and are not regenerating nutrients primarily by larvae (which is a good thing as zooplankton levels are likely the most indequate in tanks). We use them mainly to aid in keeping dissolved nutrients lower since the microbes like that stuff and they are generally too high in tanks. They do this pretty well, too. So, I think the answer is either more input or less output with low dissolved nutrients, and sand beds help in this area. Populations in sand beds, if you are concerned about too little detritus and too much larvae (an undue concern, I assure you!), have the advantage of being self limiting. If there is not detritus for them to eat, they don't reproduce, grow, or even live. So, the problem solves itself. And, if you need more detiritus, add some food - flake food even sort of looks like detritus!

>>It may well be that if you take off the skimmer, anything you do from there will be OK, because you are going to have a very dirty and nutritious tank in terms of zooplankton AND marine snow. But it may not. <<

I don;t like the term dirty. But, ok.

>>It may be that an animal adapted to life below a coral flat, in deep water well above the benthic areas, will be irritated by zooplankton, and those adapted to herbivory may well need quality marine snow for protein needs.<<

Irritated? I doubt it. Herbviory and detritovory are two different things. All corals use detirtus as a food source. Some use herbviory. Many use zooplanktivory. Deep water above the benthic area? What are they growing on? benthic area is the bottom - be it shallow water, deep water, rock or sand.

>>I note that the usual ratio of particles in the area in which dendros live is 10 to 1 phyto to zooplankton.<<

Reference, please. But, notwithstanding reference required, that should be almost true anywhere. Remember my tenfold rule? Assume that the phytoplankton to zooplankton food chain is one link...and it generally is. Thus, 10:1 is what should be present. Also, what is "the area where dendros live"?

They - and other herbviorous/semi-herbivrous azooxanthellate corals (and stony corals) have wide habitat ranges. Large Dendronephthya tend to be found most abundantly on steep reef slopes where there is current - has nothing to do with the relative availabilites of phyto/zoo - they live where current brngs them a lot of food at the right speed. But, they and others live elsewhere, too - from near the surface of the water to very deep. And they are pretty much all above the phyto critical depth (P>R), and definitely within the photic zone, so other theoretical arguments here are right out the proverbial window.

>> Is it good for such an animal to be buffeted by so many motile forms it cannot capture?<<

I wouldn's say buffeting does anythin - they just can't use it, that's all.

>> A dendro that cannot capture zooplankton may be starving in our tanks because of the sediment bed processing of what was to become marine snow.<<

No, that's not it. People couldn't keep Dendronephthya years ago either, before sand beds were used. See Delbeek's article at advancedaquarist.com. This was the best attempt to date to provide for these corals and it wasn't altogether successful - although very successful in showing their fastidious requirements.

Back