Feeding veggies to tangs

ErosJN

I've read over the months that feeding veggies isn't ideal for tangs, but my question is why not? Other than the greens being terrestrial plants vs marine plants...
I've been doing some research... Nori seaweed sheets from Walmart contain 20% Vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 0% calcium, 2% Iron.
Romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, broccoli, and many more veggies contain significantly higher percentages of vitamins that are required for a healthy tang. Has anyone actually tried feeding their tangs a steady diet with these veggies (Nori included if you will)?

I've seen at the florida aquarium they feed their yellow tangs lettuce, looks line romaine. They're good and fat fish

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Nice! I just started implementing their diet with lettuce and broccoli. Ill see if there are any changes with them in time.

My only fear would be pesticides, etc. In terrestrial veggies. I suppose unknowns could be in seaweed sheets as well.

I would try it and keep a close watch over all your livestock over the course of the next few weeks.

Feeding tangs

Feeding tangs

I feed 1 stalk of romaine per day for years. Plus 3 sheets of nori. My tangs need to go on a diet. They are way to fat.:fish1::fish1::fish1:

Awesome. How many tangs are you feeding? I have 8 so Ive just started a regimen of 1 branch of broccoli, some romaine lettuce and 2 sheets of nori. They are at a good weight but I dont want them overweight or under.

Awesome. How many tangs are you feeding? I have 8 so Ive just started a regimen of 1 branch of broccoli, some romaine lettuce and 2 sheets of nori. They are at a good weight but I dont want them overweight or under.

8 tangs??? what do you have? I would like to add one or two more....

Yeah Im pretty much tanged out.. none are adult sized yet but will be going in an 11 ft. Aquarium by next year. They are currently in a 210 with 75 sump... everyone gets along except occasionally the atlantic blue will flare at the sailfin...
As for the broccoli, Ive been thawing it out and using my magnet cleaner to hold the tip of the stalk in place and they eat the greenies on the head first then chomp down on the stalk until theres no more.

if you go to Korean grocery store you can buy dried sea weed (nori) really cheap
they selling roast sea weed and dried sea weed .. bust buy dried sea weed
$10 nori = full one year supply

Ive been buying the YamaMotoYama dried Nori from walmart in the Oriental isle, but research shows it doesn't have very much vitamins..

Not that I've heard it but I would think in the ocean they are constantly eating a variety of seaweeds that have different nutritional values compared to just constantly eating nori.

For those who are interested.. here's a photo I just took of some of the tangs eating some lettuce and spinach leaves.

They've taken a strong liking to broccoli!! My naso tested my finger while I was inserting the broccoli... scared the heck out of me lol.

My fish love spinach and romaine lettuce as well as nori sheets from Publix. I haven't tried broccoli yet but I may give it a shot.

Nice. So far mine seem to like broccoli the most out of the veggies. I still give them nori quite regularly.

Back