Felicia's Lionfish Mixed Reef 40B

Ok, so let's continue with some photos of the fishies.

First off, Falkor the eel!
IMG_8567.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

And a photo showing how long Falkor is!
IMG_8801.jpg

Time for some photos of the newest addition, the blue star leopard wrasse!
She's really settled in and has been doing really well and is eating good! Its too bad she's just super hard to photograph because she moves so fast and she's still a bit shy if I'm up against the tank.

IMG_8752.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8821.jpg

And finally some members of the CUC.

Blue leg hermit on a gorg.
IMG_8680.jpg

One of the fighting conchs and the giant red mithrax crab.
IMG_8923.jpg

Ok now its time for shots of the corals!

German blue digi, micromussas, and the fox coral.
IMG_8556.jpg

The micromussas.
IMG_8545.jpg

Bali green slimer with the german blue digi below.
IMG_8586.jpg

Side shot of SPS island. There are a few pieces that had partial die off or that browned out during shipment, so looking a bit ragged, but everything is doing really well and recovering nicely!
IMG_8590.jpg

The duncan.
IMG_8681.jpg

Hawaiian palys and Magicians.
IMG_8627.jpg

The clowns in their BTA castle.
IMG_8710.jpg

Gorgs galore!!!
IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8669.jpg

The huge squamosa has been in the tank about 3 months now and is doing great!
IMG_8613.jpg

Check out the growth rim on the little squammy! Its trying to catch up to the big one! :lol:
IMG_8825.jpg

Ok, and to finish out the photoshoot, I also snapped some top-downs! I turned the return pump off for these, which makes the lionfish and eel think its time for food, so all the fish were up at the water surface begging :lol: Piggies!

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

IMG_8854.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_8902.jpg

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

Man I just LOVE this tank!!
love the coral and the gorges it what i plan on doing with my 40B. tell me more about your gorges plz. ( not sure if I have ask this no not :/)

loving the lion fish too. never thought i would think about lionfish but I have been pondering it!!

Man I just LOVE this tank!!
love the coral and the gorges it what i plan on doing with my 40B. tell me more about your gorges plz. ( not sure if I have ask this no not :/)

loving the lion fish too. never thought i would think about lionfish but I have been pondering it!!
Thank you! All the gorgs are from KP Aquatics. I've ordered from them quite a few times and they have very good prices and everything always arrives healthy. Their gorgs are usually pretty good sized and they almost always throw in some freebies with your order. What would you like to know about the gorgs? They're really very hardy and easy to care for. The ones I have are all photosynthetic, so they need good lighting. They also need pretty strong flow so that algae can't grow on them and because they shed their skin every so often and they need flow to help that process. They do like to eat some particulate food too, so I like to supplement with some coral food once in a while.

I had never seriously considered lionfish before either, but just wanted to try something new and different. I like challenging myself to do something a bit unique in this hobby. Its fun to do all the research and learn about something new. So glad I went this route. They're fascinating fish! So much personality and so far they've been very hardy and low maintenance to care for.

Excellent work! What are you feeding the corals and gorgonians? Do you have any issues with softies and SPS in the same tank? Are you dosing kalkwasser too?

Really great job!

Yeah I hear great thinks about KP I plan on ordering form them for sure.
was wandering of you add phyto to your tank for the sponges?

how often are the polyps out on the gorgs? how often to they shed?

Excellent work! What are you feeding the corals and gorgonians? Do you have any issues with softies and SPS in the same tank? Are you dosing kalkwasser too?

Really great job!
Thank you! I have my doser add a couple mL Acropower every other day. Other than that, I don't specifically feed the corals or gorgs. I do broadcast feed the tank some smaller foods like cyclopeeze or reef plankton every once in a while, but very infrequently.

So far the tank seems to be balanced well for all the different types of corals. Its difficult to do and I'm not really sure why it works right now, but I got lucky and it seems to be well balanced.

I dose B-Ionic Alk, Ca, and Mg.

Yeah I hear great thinks about KP I plan on ordering form them for sure.
was wandering of you add phyto to your tank for the sponges?

how often are the polyps out on the gorgs? how often to they shed?
I have my doser set to add a few mL of Acropower every other day, so the sponges may eat that. However, I don't specifically feed them. They seem to get enough nutrients from my water without me having to worry too much about feeding them. Also, the plating blue/purple sponge that I have is photosynthetic.

The polyps are out on the gorgs all day when the lights are on. The only time they don't have their polyps out is when they're shedding. They seem to shed pretty sporadically, so hard to say exactly how often. Probably once every couple months, but it really varies a lot.

As always, your tank shots are magnificant - and your tank continues to amaze, very nice!

Sorry I missed your earlier comment to my question about what to change if anything. Funny you should mention your overflow as I have the same 700 kit as yours with the single large diameter pipe. Wonder if angling it a bit would make any difference in noise?

For someone who has never done lion's before your collection of them is quite the feat. I've only had a single volitans many years ago, fed him feeder goldfish as that was the common choice back then, I do remember him having an interesting personality and was quite beautiful when fully extending his fins.

Thanks for continuing to share with us this most inspirational tank!

Mark

As always, your tank shots are magnificant - and your tank continues to amaze, very nice!

Sorry I missed your earlier comment to my question about what to change if anything. Funny you should mention your overflow as I have the same 700 kit as yours with the single large diameter pipe. Wonder if angling it a bit would make any difference in noise?

For someone who has never done lion's before your collection of them is quite the feat. I've only had a single volitans many years ago, fed him feeder goldfish as that was the common choice back then, I do remember him having an interesting personality and was quite beautiful when fully extending his fins.

Thanks for continuing to share with us this most inspirational tank!

Mark
Thank you so much for the thoughtful compliments!

Does your overflow make a trickling water noise? Angling it might help, but at this point it would be nightmare to redo hard plumbing. Plus I'm just kind of used to the trickling noise right now. Its calming, like the little water fountains they sell to make trickling noises in your house, haha!

I am no expert on lionfish, but I've been trying to read and learn all I can and so far so good! They really seem to be very hardy fish and mine have been healthy and happy so far. Its been just over 3 months now since I got them. Luckily I live in an area with quite a big aquarium hobby so that I can usually find a good selection of fish. I was thrilled once I made the decision to try lionfish to be able to find the 3 different species so quickly from my local stores. Volitans are stunning, but just so big! One day when I have a larger tank, I'd love to have one. For now I love my tiny lions :)

Here's a fun new video of the tank!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kNF87FKallU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back