Filamentous Algea ? and a Comment

DonJasper

In your article describing the genus Centropyge, you mention that filamentous algea a good food source for the critters. I love my C. bispinosa "Coral Beauty" and he seems pretty happy constantly pecking at the rocks. He's even volunterred to keep the 'pod population in check, and I didn't even have to ask - is that a nice fish or what?

I've recently had some success _not_ growing hair algae, and was wondering if that was a good food source for them? I've got some Caulerpa sp. of macroalgea in the tank as well. He seems to nibble on the tender new growth sometimes. I've decided to get some more varieties of macroalgae, and perhaps get rid of the Caulerpa - is there a preferred macroalgae that they like?

Comment: After reading each article of yours, my first thought is the changes I need to make in order to raise whatever fish of the month that you've written about! But it was love at first sight seeing a Marine Betta (sigh).

Just to sneak in another question:
I've got the "Coral Beauty", I'd love to get a "Comet", some "Neon Gobies" and some sort of a algae eating blenny. Will that combination work out - given a 70 gallon reef tank? Room enough for something else with color?

Ok just one more:
Have you written an article about any blennies that are herbivorous? I couldn't find one. If not - sure would be nice to see one in the next 6 months or so! ;)

hey don

I've recently had some success _not_ growing hair algae, and was wondering if that was a good food source for them?

they will consume small amounts of it, but i wouldn't expect them to make a dent in the spread of it. hey will consume it more regularly if you keep it pruned back some as again in this instance they prefer the new growth.

I've decided to get some more varieties of macroalgae, and perhaps get rid of the Caulerpa - is there a preferred macroalgae that they like?

as you noted they are not fond of the robust caulerpas so i would opt for those that are more fleshy.

I've got the "Coral Beauty", I'd love to get a "Comet", some "Neon Gobies" and some sort of a algae eating blenny. Will that combination work out - given a 70 gallon reef tank? Room enough for something else with color?

yes, sounds like a great combo. look towards adding a small wrasse, perhaps a macropharyngodon, paracheilinus, pseudocheilinus, or cirrhilibrus. should fit your tank nicely and add a fair amount of color.

Have you written an article about any blennies that are herbivorous?

no, i haven't covered them yet. i do know they are overdue, however, so perhaps i can sneek one in shortly.

HTH

henry

hcs3 said:

Yes - a great deal in fact. Thank you.

Since no good deed is left unpunished: another question.

I was concerned that the Comet would eat the cleaner gobies - and that got me to thinking (and reading). Always dangerous that, especially in combination.

For additional references, not listed below, that have more information on the symbiotic relationship betweens cleaner gobies and their clients, readers are encouraged to contact me directly.

Ok, so here goes.

Seems to me that making ones living as a 'cleaner' organism would be rather more difficult than well . . . just about any other way to make a living. You'd never know who signed up for the 'Do not eat cleaner fish' agreement and who hasn't. So living long enough to have children could be a problem.

I know that various fish will look like other things to avoid being eaten. Are there fish that look like cleaners but arenââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t? They would then fall into the: "Do not eat me - I look like cleaner fish, while swimming around eating the unwary" category?

TIA

I know that various fish will look like other things to avoid being eaten. Are there fish that look like cleaners but arenââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t? They would then fall into the: "Do not eat me - I look like cleaner fish, while swimming around eating the unwary" category?

mimic cleaner gobies? not that i'm aware of.

HTH

henry

Back