Dying Fish sick & stressed fish from pet stores or something else?

JustSalty

I’ve had freshwater/saltwater for about 30 years… I’m starting the hobby back up after a 5 year break. I am using a 160 gallon converted water trough, which I’ve kept “goldfish” in for decades without any problems (farmers add goldfish to help with algae growth). I’m using my same equipment and yet I am losing fish (feeder comets goldfish) almost every other day. I had a approx 20 fish though out the past few weeks, and I am now down to 8. I did notice that some appeared sickly and the petco store employee said he was dealing with ich for weeks. Supposedly these were from a tank that did not have ich… However, the last time I went in he said the ich was in another tower that he said the previous time. Obviously, there is a problem at that store. I wound up going to another fish store. Which looked cleaner, and picked up some really gorgeous tri-colored comet “feeders,” yet the next day I saw “ white spots” on some of their fins. So, I treated and increased temperature to 82ish. The ich seemed to have went away. Yet, I keep losing them. All of the really pretty ones died. I still have some of the original ones which seem to be fine, but I have no clue for how long. I never had issues in the past with these fish, and my other comets lived a long time… and to be honest, I have never even heard of 1/2 these fish diseases before.

I also set up a 70 gallon freshwater tank inside and I was having similar problems with the fish I got (wild type guppies) from petco as well. 3 out of 12 survived and from what one I saw dying, it looked like some-kind of fin rot…

I’ve done water tests and everything has been checking out fine. I’ve also used water conditioners, additives to add bacteria etc. My water also comes from deep well water and RO, I’m located in Florida. I’m kinda at a lost and it’s sucking the joy right out of the hobby.

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10
  • A7CA9D77-97AF-4F99-ACA6-24514C511BA2.jpeg
    A7CA9D77-97AF-4F99-ACA6-24514C511BA2.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    835.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The guppy definitely appears to have a fungus of some sort.

My experience with feeder fish is very similar. Most end up dying. I think they’re just not well cared for generally.

@HumbleFish @leebca any thoughts on freshwater issues

I agree it looks like fungus on the guppies.
Hit or miss on the health of feeder goldfish. Consider setting up a temporary QT tank where they can be treated, and treat your stock tank at the same time. You might want to check local classified ads for other hobbyists giving away or rehoming their goldfish. Likely much better condition than feeders.

I agree it looks like fungus on the guppies.
Hit or miss on the health of feeder goldfish. Consider setting up a temporary QT tank where they can be treated, and treat your stock tank at the same time. You might want to check local classified ads for other hobbyists giving away or rehoming their goldfish. Likely much better condition than feeders.
Good points, I’m always open to take in a rescue 😅 I actually did get a few “test subjects” and plants off a person that was selling on FB market place. I see a total difference on store bought and these other guys. They are all thriving and no fungus is among us! I agree a QT tank would be a good idea. It seems the hobby has gotten a little more complicated than when I was doing it back in the day.😝 Although I think the stores took better care of their fish. I was also able to find another store which will actually quarantine the Supply they get before they sell them. They used to not always do that, but they do now…

And I also have a family member that actually raises cichlids. So, I know I will get good stock from them if I go that route. 👍

Back