Filefish

Ab129

I bought a small filefish 3 weeks ago. He went through TTM but was not eating regularly so I kept him in QT tank with post water change water from my DT. It’s been over a week since we finished TTM and he is still not eating regularly. He eats well for a day or two, then skips a day, then eats well again.
I’ve never had a filefish before so not sure what normal is.
He also occasionally lists to one side a bit.
The diet is a variety of frozen foods. Spirulina, Mysis and Brine.
I am trying to decide whether to add him to the DT or leave him in QT for another week and continue to observe him.

An aiptaisia eating filefish, I guess.
I looked at some pics. Didn’t realize there were different varieties.

Yep, there are a ton of different species of Filefish.

Full disclosure, I’ve never kept a filefish. But, my inclination would be to put him in the display tank.

I want to. I hate seeing them in QT in that bare bottom tank with all that crap floating around the bottom.
On the other hand my fish in the DT are all 3-4 years old and I don’t want to jeopardize them.

Not advocating what I am about to say but, I’ve been in the hobby since the 1980s and have never quarantined.

I’ve only been in for about 7 years but had a beautiful tank crash a few times and it is so hard to come back from that!

I’ve only been in for about 7 years but had a beautiful tank crash a few times and it is so hard to come back from that!
I hear you. I’ve had a crash or two myself. Maybe move some live rock into the quarantine tank to give him something to graze on?

I keep many filefish and spent many hours in the sea with them. Their main diet is crabs. Thats what they eat in the sea and probably why their eyes are set back so far. So the crabs don't damage their eyes as they are eating them. Thats the thinking anyway but I am not a fish psychologist. :oops:
In a tank you don't need the Spirulina or brine although it won't hurt. You should get some clams into his diet.

They' like most fish can live on just clams and it is the best food. They also eat, and love worms, any kind. I collected some earthworms this morning and will feed those but I normally feed clams, mysis and live worms.

This is a Pygmy Filefish which I don't yet have, but I want one. :)

Back