Filter Media

I am currently running Rowaphos and activated carbon filter media, just wanted to know what else do you guys use that can both reduce nitrates and phosphates! Any recommendation would be helpful. Thanks guys.

increase water changes, change filter socks more often, decrease bio load, get a bigger skimmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trialing matrix. Siporax is another option. People have been having great results with both for reducing nitrate and it also allows you to run less live rock.

Vinegar/Vodka, also imo, you are always going to have to add something more for phosphates.

I am wondering why no one mentioned a fug. IMO its the most natural way to reduce both. Plus the benis of more pods and such. I am having luck with normal water changes, A little GFO and a fug. on my 90. results today are phos .04 and nitrates 5 and this is before I do my water change today. My other systems without fuges run much higher like 25 nitrates and I do the exact same water changes and gfo to all my others.
some want 0 nitrates and phos and if that works cool but I grow sps well at those numbers

I am wondering why no one mentioned a fug. IMO its the most natural way to reduce both. Plus the benis of more pods and such. I am having luck with normal water changes, A little GFO and a fug. on my 90. results today are phos .04 and nitrates 5 and this is before I do my water change today. My other systems without fuges run much higher like 25 nitrates and I do the exact same water changes and gfo to all my others.
some want 0 nitrates and phos and if that works cool but I grow sps well at those numbers

I have tried to use Chaeto in a refugium but the chaeto always end up braking apart then disappear...

There have been several posts here about what light to use to make it grow. Seems blue and red LEDS work well or just a curly florescent. If you want to use an LED look for plant grow LED. Also you have to have some decent flow. I use a little fountain pump from harbor freight. "Like 10$. My sump is about 40g and I use a 5g tank in the sump and keep the water level about 1" under the top. It works well enough that I keep a pair of mandarins.
I am repeating this same set up on my other systems. Is it perfect? No. but it sure helps keep my waist in check.
I have seen some people tumble cheato. I have never tried this as I don't have the room in my sump. I have also seem several remote fuges. I think this works best but not everyone has the extra space.

Back