Filter Questions

GCamp13

I had mentioned in an earlier post about the filter in this set up that I bought having a wet/dry filter with the Bio Balls. Several of you had advised to lose the balls and put algae in its place. Do I need to do anything besides removing the balls and putting in the algae? Also, the filters that the water goes thru before the balls look nasty. Do these need to be replaced or is the nasty looking stuff on them some type of bacteria that I need to leave alone?

You need to hang a light bulb above your wet/dry filter if you want to keep some macroalgae in your filter. A curlicue type compact fluorescent bulb will do just fine for Chaetomorpha.

As for the nasty stuff, is it on a filter pad or is it just everywhere in the first section? If it's maroon or brown colored and slimy, it is probably cyanobacteria. You can wash the filter before put it back in service. Your live rocks and sand should be able to function as biological filter although you are a bit light on rocks. You need to add some more rocks if you have only 30 lbs or so as written in the ad you posted.

Cyanobacteria may come back if you have nutrient rich water (high in nitrate and phosphate.) Do you have good test kits to measure their levels?

Tomoko

Its brown and slimy, looks like mud on a filter pad. The Live Rock was under estimated in the ad but I still plan to add much more.

I am going to follow your advise and lose the balls. Do I just need to pull them out and add the algae? What is the best algae to add and where do I get it?

You need to keep the pad clean or lose it all together.
You should look for Chaetomorpha. Coral Reef Aquatics usually has some. You can also post a message for them. Someone may give you some in March meeting. You can put them in the first section, but keep them away from the intake of your pumps. Chaetomorpha is also called spaghetti algae. Its loose string may cause your pump to slow down if it's caught around an impellar.

Tomoko

If your filter is very small, you might consider replacing your filter with a sump. Coral Reef Aquatics has a very nice looking 40G breeder tank which is converted to a sump-refugium combination. You can easily make one like that yourself with 40G breeder tank and a few glass or acrylic panes.

Tomoko

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11942495#post11942495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GCamp13
What is the best algae to add and where do I get it?

I am planning on going to the March meeting at Petco as long as work doesn't change my mind for me. ;)

I will be glad to bring you some chaeto, I need to throw out a 5 gallon bucket full. I hate to throw it in the garbage.

If you need it before then, I live in Decatur if you want to come get some. Let me know and we can work out a day and time. I am off Tues. Wed. Thurs. this week.

I'll take you up on that offer, I can come to Decatur Wed or Thursday of this week if thats ok with you.

Chris never throw cheato away. We will buy it from you!
At the last meeting one of the member sold bags of the stuff. I lined up to buy it. When you have extra let us know!
Thanks,
Monica

Re: Filter Questions

Here is a reference site about refugiums. Melevsreef has a lot of good information.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

hope this helps,
Monica

QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11941895#post11941895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GCamp13
I had mentioned in an earlier post about the filter in this set up that I bought having a wet/dry filter with the Bio Balls. Several of you had advised to lose the balls and put algae in its place. Do I need to do anything besides removing the balls and putting in the algae? Also, the filters that the water goes thru before the balls look nasty. Do these need to be replaced or is the nasty looking stuff on them some type of bacteria that I need to leave alone? [/QUOTE]

Back