First tank! Any advice would be great!

DsPheister

I am starting my first saltwater tank. I have read about 5 books on starting the tank as well as countless Youtube videos. My wife and I live in a very small 1 bedroom 1 bath home ( just paid off at age 30 ) in Mid Michigan so it is getting cold. We decided on a 14 gallon BioCube simply because of space available not near a window or door. I know the tank will come with a pump and lights but just not the best quality. I am loving the idea of removing the hood, and adding some great LEDs. Any advice on a small pump and/ or LEDs that are reasonably priced.( Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 240 GPH ) Also do I need a protien skimmer right away? Plan on a heater (Cobalt Aquatics Easy-Therm Submersible Heater - 50 Watt), better filter, and a carbon bag. Since I will be leaving the lights off for the first month of cycling I can buy LEDs at a later date when I have some color worth showing off.

The main focus will be corals and cleaners. I know lots of people love the fish the most, but I really do love watching the crabs and starfish more than the fish swimming. I really don't mind all the beginner corals and fish.
Zoanthids, Polys, Clowns, a Goby and a pistol shrimp. I really like the Electric Blue Hermits.
I am 100% sure I dont know everything but I have retained ALOT of the info I read or watched on starting. I am looking for advice on equipment you prefer and where I can get it. But any advice or just general knowledge is always welcomed and appreciated.

Question 1) CaribSea Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black any PROS or CONS? I like the idea of black sand.
CaribSea Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand 20 lb ANY BETTER?
Question 2) Live rock or Dry Rock? I cant DECIDE!??

I was really interested in the black myself but decided against it cause I saw a YouTube video saying the grain was so small It blew around everywhere. But I am no expert by any means.

I went with live rock because I got it at a good price from a local reefer who was getting out of the hobby. The rock can with majano, right now I have it a 55g tank, will leave it fallow for at least 72 days. I also just picked up 40 pounds of dry rock at $2/lb.
Dry rock will take longer to cycle but has no pests/hitchhikers.

Do not hate me BUT.

Do not hate me BUT.

Ok
So you buy a brand new 18 all in one aquarium.. They are expensive for what you get .. The lighting sucks and the Filtration is only Blaaa

I know you are limited on space..

I would measure where your going to put it. Get the biggest tank you can find something similar to the Bio cube.. Get The biggest HOB Filter you can fit on the tank you choose.

I think you will have a better system and save some money and stress later on.. for a tank that size a skimmer would not be needed nor a ato if your home all the time.. ohh and then pick a light you like for the tank.
I would search local craigslist

Just my two cents.. :wave:

Congrats on Paying off the Home.
We paid ours off in the Spring.. Thought we would have all that extra money. but NO We are now renovating again ...

Last edited:
Back