Fish getting sucked to the powerhead

TURKLET0N

In the past two days two of my Blue/Green Chromis have died as a result of getting sucked into and stuck on the side of one of my powerheads. Has anyone else had this issue and is there any way to fix it or should I just do without them in my tank?

More likely they are stressed and hiding there and then being overcome by the flow. You can put a sponge prefilter on the powerhead to spread out the suction.

what type of pwr head, most will say the fish must be weakened or not healthy is the reason they get stuck, but if you have very powerful pump and small fish, anything is possible

I would say that those fish were not in the best health before they were suctioned. If you are introducing new fish and are concerned, I would leave the PH off until they are fully acclimated to the system and swimming well. Sponges will work if you keep them clean. Kind of difficult if you are using a circulating pump such as a hydor or tunze PH. I would also be worried about straining the PH all together by restricting its flow.

Since you just had a stint with ick, guessing weak fish. Pretty sure not too powerful power heads. I have vortech mp60 on full and several small fish. Now I have had a bubble tip get chewed up although.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, likely weak fish getting sucked in, I have 8 chromis in a tank with 4 pp8's and a gyre150. Nobody has issues getting sucked in.

A healthy fish can swim away from the side of a power head so like others have said there health was compromised prior to being sucked in

Back