Fish help please!

I'd be more concerned whether the two Halichoeres wrasses would get along. I would use an acclimation box and be prepared to remove one if a battle begins. Some have success, others don't.

As far as pods, it's been my experience that Halichoeres wrasses predominately hunt for larger amphipods, snails, hermits, shrimp and other larger inverts and not your smaller benthic copepods that Mandarins eat. In that regard you should be fine.

I'd be more concerned whether the two Halichoeres wrasses would get along. I would use an acclimation box and be prepared to remove one if a battle begins. Some have success, others don't.

As far as pods, it's been my experience that Halichoeres wrasses predominately hunt for larger amphipods, snails, hermits, shrimp and other larger inverts and not your smaller benthic copepods that Mandarins eat. In that regard you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice CuzzA. It's always appreciated.

I have a blood shrimp. My melanarus doesn't mess with but I know that these can get big. Do you foresee him attacking the blood shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem.

As long as they're well fed I've had no issues. I had one incident where I had a really busy week and slacked a little on feeding my tank and my melanarus killed one of my cleaner shrimp. Watched it happen as I was waiting for food to thaw. He tore right into its head, thrashed him around and proceeded to swim his around the tank for a while. Letting go occasionally to munch some more.

My blood shrimp never seemed to be a high target compared to the bold cleaner shrimps. The blood was much more recluse and obviously unlike the cleaners, wouldn't just jump on a fish. Cleaners are risk takers and if the subject is hungry, they're an easy meal.

I think you'll likely be fine, but as always, there's no guarantee when it comes to animals.

No problem.

As long as they're well fed I've had no issues. I had one incident where I had a really busy week and slacked a little on feeding my tank and my melanarus killed one of my cleaner shrimp. Watched it happen as I was waiting for food to thaw. He tore right into its head, thrashed him around and proceeded to swim his around the tank for a while. Letting go occasionally to munch some more.

My blood shrimp never seemed to be a high target compared to the bold cleaner shrimps. The blood was much more recluse and obviously unlike the cleaners, wouldn't just jump on a fish. Cleaners are risk takers and if the subject is hungry, they're an easy meal.

I think you'll likely be fine, but as always, there's no guarantee when it comes to animals.

You are absolutely correct in that. I've lost enough already to just kind of expect it. You don't know when it's going to happen but the odds are something will be lost witching the next year.

I'll probably go for it the safest way possible and watch the personalities, and then hope for the best.

Thanks again!

Well I wanted to give an update.... When the new fish was in the acclimation box nobody seemed to even care that he was there. Once released he hid. I think it has been about two weeks now and today was the first day that I saw him out and about. Still nobody paying each other any attention.

https://vimeo.com/171976703

Yeah, that's the new one. The lights are making him look blue but he is actually black and white checkered with a yellow tail.

Just another update... It has been about a month and a half and there has been absolutely no aggression between the two halichoeres wrasse. I have recently read about some people's experience with the melanarus and how they were very aggressive with all of their wrasse. Picking them off one by one. I have to say that my fish has been a model citizen and o have not seen any aggression towards other fish or inverts. This actually goes the same with the marbled/checkered wrasse that I added.

In regards to the pod population.... I'm not worried at all. There is still a plethora of amphipods and copepods. It may have something to do with having the rock wall. When I look at the back of the rock wall I can see that they are living in the foam where nobody can get them. This tank is packed full of pods, so no worries there anymore.

All in all... Very happy with my decision to add a second halichoeres.

Back