Fish that you can't find after putting into reef tank

socal55

Hi All! About 10 days ago I put a Ruby Long Fin Fairy, a Lubbock's Fairy, and a Carpenters Flasher Wrasse, along with a Royal Gramma into my 50 gal reef. The next day, the two Fairy Wrasses and the Royal Gramma were no where to be seen. The Flasher Wrasse was swimming around for about 3 days, then it disappeared as well. The others in the tank are a Purple Tang, Coral Beauty Angel, Ocellaris Clown, and a couple Pajama Cardinals. Is it common for new wrasses to go and hide in the rocks when new to a tank? I know that the Royal Gramma that went into a mini reef I have would only occasionally come out when fed for a number of months, so I'm hoping the same applies to the new one in the 50 gal. Thanks for any input.

Yes, there is a cover. Sadly, I did find later today that the Carpenters Flasher had jumped out of the tank, probably while I was cleaning the algae buildup yesterday afternoon. :sad2:

Were they fairly heathy? Can they hide in the rick structure?

Dead body cleaned up. Dead in the rock. Hide in the rock or jumped out or jumped into the overflow or sump.

Wrasse are notorious for jumping as you seem to find out already.

Yes, they did seem fairly healthy when they went into the tank. Plenty of places to hide in the rocks and behind the rocks. The fairy wrasses and the royal gramma disappeared from view within hours and that's why I hope that they are just in hiding. Just hope to see them swimming or eating at this point.

The Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse came out to eat today. Hopefully, the other two fish are just in hiding.

Back