Fish ?

MrUnderground

There are 2 fish I want that have been claimed by people to be reef safe, and I want a second opinion. Tell me what you all think.

The Valentini Puffer a.k.a. Saddled Toby: told "reef safe, but monitor with shrimp."
(I have none so does it even matter?)

The Blue Throat / Blue Jaw Trigger: Told it was the only Reef Safe Trigger out there.

I was also told that both fish are docile in temperment. I can see that.
I want to know what you guys think. I have a 54 Reef and want some non typical fish.

So far I have:
Pair True Black Percs
Purple Tang (Red Sea)

Thanks for the opinions/advice ahead of time,
Dave S. (Concerned for the safety of my reef...)

It all really depends, both are *usually* okay with soft corals and I think SPS (LPS, Zoas, and mushrooms MAY be at risk) and both shouldn't be kept with crustaceans of any kind.

However, the "pet quality" of these fish (aka personality) makes them extremely variable.

I do have a puffer in my (almost) reef, he hasn't touched a thing, not even my little ocellaris which he could slurp down in a second.

As for the trigger, I wouldn't try a Bluejaw. Triggers are a mixed bag at best but some have had success. ESPECIALLY with the Niger/Redtooth trigger, fwhich is normally very docile. I have also seen Humuhumu's in reefs once or twice, but I really wouldn't risk that.

Good luck!-Ross

Thanks much Ross! Should I watch my emerald Crabs? They are Huge! Same with my Zebra Crabs, and Scarlet Legs.

Anybody else with some suggestions? Agreeances or contradictions? I want to get alot of opinions on this subject since my livestock, both corals and fish are very important to me.

Lovin' bein' a reefer,
Dave S.

I don't think a big puffer or trigger could resist crunching on a crab ;) If you keep them well fed they may ignore them however. -Ross

Thanky for the advice.
Much appreciated...
Anybody have a Humu Humu in their reef? I want to hear some reviews on them...

Dave S.

Seen plenty of blue throats in reef tanks, many with cleaner shrimp as well. No problems reported from them, nor have I experienced any with a tank I maintain that has a pair. FWIW, they're all fed often, and are in large tanks.

Well you learn something new everyday! ;) If you do go with humu humus, make sure you know what kind your getting. There are like 3 or 4 variations, subspecies, similar species, or something, each with variable amounts of aggression and invert-munching tendencies.

Really? Hmmm... Well then, my next question then is... Which one should I look for? What are the different sub-species, and which ones are the least aggressive/ least "crustacian loving?" Basically Which sub-species is best for my tank (Reef w/cleaning crew)?

Hmmm....Did some research. Looks like it all depends on the personality of the fish. I have seen the most success with the common Picasso (Rhinecanthus aculeatus) but I would think carefully about that one.

The most success has been credited to Bluethroats, many seem to do fine in invert tanks and are remarkably well mannered. I have seen them in shop tanks with smaller fish and they don't ever look tempted (then again, this is in a LFS).

There are supporters of the Pinktails. Some LFS in my area swear by them as one of the best reef triggers. They are sociable to other medium-large fish, but will unfailingly lunch on inverts and small fish it seems.

Nigers seem to be pretty stable. They are less likely to eat tankmates then Pinktails but don't seem as safe as Bluethroats. I have personally seen these in large mixed reef tanks, and they seemed just as harmless as any tang.

In Reef Aquarium Fishes, Xanthichthys triggers (such as the Sarguassum trigger) are cited as the BEST reef triggers, rarely if ever bothering anything bigger or more durable then Anemone shrimp. I have personally not seen these very often, but they have an attractive gray/whie color with black fins and a cool spotted pattern.

If I were you I'd go with the Bluethroats or Xanthichthys triggers, they are hardy, personable, friendly, and seem for the most part opposed to sea-food :).

EDIT!!! DOPE! I just looked and saw that Bluethroats are part of the Xanthichthys genus!

Back