Fixed my low pH problem!!!

rnelson

Shark Obsessed
I know it's common knowledge, but adding fresh air to your tank sure does make a difference in pH.....my pH has been naturally sitting at 7.8-7.9 for months....I've been dosing kalk like crazy to keep it above 8.00 ......did a bubble test yesterday.....using outside air my pH was 8.16, inside by my tank was 8.06, and the tank water itself was 7.94..........I have a monster dual Beckett skimmer, so I ran tubing from the tops of the Beckett down behind my tank, opened the window just an inch or so, then stuck the tubes in the window sill tracks......

At 8:30PM (when I got the tubes ran) - 7.93
At 10:00PM - 8.08
It is currently 10:15PM - 8.12 and climbing.

I'll post the final number tomorrow.....amazing how fresh air can be so beneficial........

Try Reef builder it may help. You might want to try a refugium to absorb excess CO2 if CO2 is the problem. Keep filters clean of detritus. Vacuum bottom if you can. Any idea what your alkalinity is?

Time to ventilate your house at night to get rid of the CO2 :) Indoor air quality can be worse than outside.

Percula9,

Well, I think I fixed the problem, at least I hope so.....it's 11:10PM and pH is steady at 8.15.

theatrus,

How would I go about doing that?

I'm still amazed at the difference this small and inexpensive change made....I knew this in theory, but to see it work in practice is really cool.

Do you keep your windows closed all the time/most of the time?

If its not hot outside, open them up at night.

Yeah, we always keep them closed.....we built our current house about 4 years ago so it's pretty new, and pretty airtight.

Right now it's about 75 degrees outside, not too bad. Thanks for the advice

Back