Flame angel lying on sand bed

mikoz

Hi all,

For about a week I noticed that my flame angel started to swim a bit erratically however he was still eating and otherwise doing ok. 2 days ago he has taken to lying on the sand bed and I don't think he's eating. Obviously there's something wrong. He, along with the other fish, have been together for over 5 months and there are in other signs of problems with any other fish including another angel. No behavior changes in other fish, ever. His fins are moving about and evey once in a while he pops up for 20 seconds, swims around then goes back to lying down.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Is anyone scratching? Is there sufficient water movement? What are your water parameters? Does anyone have any spots? What do you mean by "swimming erratically"? Are they shaking their heads?

No, nothing like ich, I don't think.

According to the lfs that tested my water it all is within the good range.

Yes, he was basically shaking his body back and forth as if he was trying to shimmy himself through an invisible narrow tunnel.

Flow hasn't changed in months and all equipment seems like it's working fine. Tunze wave box is working fine and the big eheim pump is fine.

Thanks for your help

Sounds like some sort of parasite. You could try a freshwater dip (pH and temp matched) to see if he has flukes. If he does have parasites the dip will at least give him temporary relief until you get a better idea of what is going on.
Have you added anything new to the tank recently?

Sounds like some sort of parasite. You could try a freshwater dip (pH and temp matched) to see if he has flukes. If he does have parasites the dip will at least give him temporary relief until you get a better idea of what is going on.
Have you added anything new to the tank recently?

I woke up this morning to find that the hermit crabs had gotten him... so I promptly removed him. I hope it's not a problem that will re-appear.

Thanks for you help.

Back