Flame Angel with slightly white lips - is this a problem?

easperhe

All,

I've had a new flame angel in quarantine for ~2 weeks now. The fish has eaten pretty well (not great) and consistently for the entire 2 weeks. But the flame angel has had slightly white looking lips since I got it. The tail fin is also looking a bit ragged. But, the fish stays under some rock at night and I think the tail fin is just hitting the rock a lot. The other fins look fine.

Are the slightly white lips on a flame angel something to worry about?? Normally I would move the fish to display tank at this point since it's been eating for 2 weeks. But, I don't want to push it if there is any risk of disease.

Note: I also had a copperband butterfly fish in quarantine too until it died 3-4 days ago. There was no sign of ich or flukes on the fish. The butterfly fish was not eating that much and I didn't put the time into nursing it along. I've heard copperbands are very difficult to keep. So, I don't think the fish died from disease - just a very difficult fish to keep is what I think.

I would definitely not move the flame angel to the display tank. It needs to be in quarantine for a minimum of four weeks, depending on what you are doing in quarantine. (Define what you are doing for quarantine). Also, did the Copperband butterfly eat? What was its behavior? Appearance? Please see this. Note that when any fish is introduced to quarantine with another fish, the clock restarts.

I've noticed quite a few flame angels recently getting white lips at different LFS. I was also wondering what it might be but no one was able to tell me.

Tell us what happens to this guy. Im interested to know what it is.

All,

* I'm not treating for anything in QT tank currently. I may try and FW dip to see if anything falls off.
* I'll try to get a good picture tonight and post.

All,

Wanted to follow up on this post. The Flame Angel's white lips seemed to persist while in QT. The LFS does maintain copper in their tanks. So, that could have been the issue. Since he continued to eat well and behavior seemed good, I put him in the DT after 3 weeks in QT. Once in the DT, he seemed to do better (more live rock and probably more like home). He is now doing very well and seems in excellent health. So, the white lips may have been a result of copper at LFS and seemed to improve significantly when he got into the DT.

Back