Flasher acclimation

saknick16

I bought a filamented flasher wrasse about two days ago for my 36 gallon reef. It has been sitting in a hole in one of my rocks and has only come out to swim once. Is he still acclimating or should I be worried and how should I get food to him or will he come out when he's hungry?

many fish will hide for the first few days you have them. Some will hide for like a week even. And fish can go a lot more than just 3 days without food, so i personally wouldnt be worried about it at all just now.

Give it time and see what happens

I have a Carpenters Flasher, mine did the same thing for 1 day. I coaxed him out by spraying some thawed mysis shrimp near his rock using a turkey baster. My Chromis all went crazy and I guess he decided that he probably should join them in the feeding frenzy. Now, mine only hides in the rocks if he's sleeping or searching for food. Otherwise, he's all over the place.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9224777#post9224777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saknick16
i tried the turkey baster technique and it sure did work. thanks for the advice
That's great! I'm glad it worked, congrats on a geat fish, they have cool personalities and become VERY active. Now, you've gotta post pix in the Flasher thread. I hope you have patience though, because it'll take about 30 pix before you finally can get one of him flashing :lol:

i introduced my fairy at night after lights out, it went into the rocks and the next day it was swimming around like all the other fish. last night i got to watch him flash (didnt know exquisite fairys could flash!), my favorite fish and i plan to get a pair of flashers.

Mine hides on the first day or so, and then he darts and flashes from end to end all day.

Thanks for the replies. My question has been answered fully.
Now I have another one. Will buying a 'significant other' for my lil guy to mess around with cause him to flash more frequently? Also, is flasher wrasse breeding difficult? I know the latter is a rather broad question and probably deserves to be posted in the breeding forum, but you have all been so helpful, I figured I would just ask.

Thanks

A female will certainly induce flashing. I do not think you can get them to spawn in a 36 gallon tank but you can in a larger tank especially with a predictable light cycle or a dimming end of day light cycle. I do not think you can breed them because feeding the spawn is very difficult. I don't know anyone who has successfully tank raised flasher wrasses but I know several who get them to spawn.

Back