Flow recommendations.

Nittro22

I have had my take running for little over a year and have decided to add corals. I am still unsure what flow rate or direction I should have. I have 2 2100gph current USA wave pumps. I have attached a phot is the tank with the current setup (the upper pump on the right in the photo is currently off and only the lower on the right and pump on left are on). I have them now set on surge mode at 100% flow. I also have dual returns. Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated
83378A3C-B094-4724-9730-CF299280950B.jpeg

Flow will greatly depend on the type of coral you want to keep. Fleshy coral like most LPS and Softies are a lower to medium flow and SPS are generally higher flow. I have my tank set up for low/medium flow at the bottom/middle and high flow at the top.

Flow will greatly depend on the type of coral you want to keep. Fleshy coral like most LPS and Softies are a lower to medium flow and SPS are generally higher flow. I have my tank set up for low/medium flow at the bottom/middle and high flow at the top.
Thanks for the advice. I have a mixture currently, so will adjust accordingly

A general rule of thumb is 30x tank volume or a little more for soft corals and many LPS, and 40x+ for SPS.

My DT is a mostly SPS mixed reef 120. I use 2 x gyre 250's that max out ad 70%, 2 x koralia 1500gph that alternate, and a pair of koralia 850's that are positioned to blow behind the rocks to prevent dead spots. I use a eheim 1262 as the return.

The gyres are on either side of a center overflow, and angled up just enough to not create a wave over the front of the tank. The korali 1500's are on the back glass in either corner about 1/3 of the way down and angled up and to the center front.

When everything is going at the same time I figure it's about 70x, and it's calmest, probably 40x.

Back