Foam Wall Instructable- A Full How-to, Step-by-Step Guide

The biggest pain for me was covering the foam with sand and crush coral. I should have put it on when the foam was still wet.
What are you using to adhere the substrate to the foam?
I liked using contact cement, but it dried kind of yellowish.

I've found that the sand dust sticks the best and will color the wall better even if not a lot of sand sticks.

That ledge covers about 1/2 of the back of my 75gal tank and sticks out about 1/2 way.
Nice. It looks almost like it's crystallized. Similar to dead acros or like the plaster fake coral skeletons they use as lamp bases. Is that from the 2 part or just the camera?

What are your plans for the ledge in your 75? Going to put some dendros or sun coral up under there??? Wink wink. Lol

The only issue with ledges is that it limits what you can put under them since they block the light below.
The wall in my 26 is more or less vertical and flat so the issue I've run into is the bigger the coral grows up top, the less light stuff underneath gets. I've had to shuffle frags around so I can get more light down low.

How do you plan to keep it in place? I might consider some silicone on the bottom and or back side of the wall - looks fluffy and buoyant.

Not sure what you mean about the look. I used crushed coral and coarse sand you can't really see the 2 part. As far as the ledge almost all the coral will go on top. I will put some low light coral below it. I also plan on putting rocks in the foreground as well to add more depth. Part of what I like about the ledge is the use of negative space. I think your missing the point of the ledge. This shows how it can be used.

Not sure what you mean about the look. I used crushed coral and coarse sand you can't really see the 2 part. As far as the ledge almost all the coral will go on top. I will put some low light coral below it. I also plan on putting rocks in the foreground as well to add more depth. Part of what I like about the ledge is the use of negative space. I think your missing the point of the ledge. This shows how it can be used.

Must be looking at the picture on my phone then, looks kind of calcified.
I see what your saying now about the ledge. That would be pretty cool!

I used a lot of live rock. My wall is actually heavy. I test it to make sure it doesn't float.

30 cube update pic:

240cc955692d98a725906ea9526da453.jpg

Back