For those of you that have a I-Tech Skimmer.

I'm assuming a new pump was used. What was the idea that improved the performance? Maybe I'm missing that in the post.

I dont think its worth it. The skimmer is designed the way it is for a reason. Its already a beast. What more could you want. I think if it could work better John would have made it like that. Its already smaller then other skimmers and work better.

Wouldn't that Facebook post be from John? Maybe he found a way to better the previous design by swapping to a pump that may not have been available at design time

Fully open the valve of the skimmer. Adjust bubble level by using sump level to maximize pump to skimmer body volume ratio.

Increase skimmer exhaust diameter. Raise sump level further and increase riser column of skimmer. If micro bubbles leave skimmer, add baffles or redesign skimmer with larger body volume and/or exhaust above waterline, allowing for flow into a filter sock.

Maintain dial in with ATO.

Last edited:
I dont think its worth it. The skimmer is designed the way it is for a reason. Its already a beast. What more could you want. I think if it could work better John would have made it like that. Its already smaller then other skimmers and work better.

When John first design these skimmers he was limited on pumps and now there are more to chose from. All he is doing is trying to make a great skimmer better. Nothing wrong with that. lolol.

Matt I agree. You might be right on but its hard to improve a great skimmer. I sure wish John would comment on this. He had said in the past that making very small changes in the design made huge differences. I am fallowing the FB post and I would love to see an improvement but I dont expect it.

Fully open the valve of the skimmer. Adjust bubble level by using sump level to maximize pump to skimmer body volume ratio.

Increase skimmer exhaust diameter. Raise sump level further and increase riser column of skimmer. If micro bubbles leave skimmer, add baffles or redesign skimmer with larger body volume and/or exhaust above waterline, allowing for flow into a filter sock.

Maintain dial in with ATO.

Am I slow... What does this have to do with the new pump on the skimmer?

And I just wish I had a functional skimmer, lol. Oh well possible tank upgrade in the very near future, then the hunt for sasquatch, I mean an I-tech begins

Roger, I assumed a change was made to the skimmer/set up of existing apparatus.

I'm just describing how to maximize a pump by utilizing potential energy created by gravity.

Back