Found the cause for my algae problems!!!

KenT

535 mixed reef, heavy bioload. I started with red slime then went on to a 5 month long hair/briopsis outbreak!!! I was in the tank everyday pulling out about 1 qt of algae!!! Finally went away. 1 thing I discovered is my salinity was very high, 1.028. Don't know if this helped with the algae but it sure did kill alot of my best corals!!! I brought the salinity down but started getting algae again.

I have always had a lot of detritis. I have good flow in the tank, but it was getting to the point where it was covering everything. So I did a lot of vacuming and cleaning. I put foam filters over the 1.5 intakes for my closed loop, socks over the drain lines in the sump, and a huge foam block on the intake bulkhead for the pump for the skimmer.

WOW, what a difference!!!!! The live rock looks great, corals look great and the water is crystal clear. I did add 300 snails and are doing a great job. I used to have to clean the front glass EVERY day. It has been a week and I've only had a few small spots.

I thought my skimmer, flow, and critters would do the job of cleaning detritis, but I was wrong.

I've been in the hobby for 10+ yrs. and let this important factor get out of control. I hope my discovery can help others with discouraging algae problems.

Purple Haze said:
You went for 5 months without checking salinity? You must trust your equipment.

Nice eflo, btw.

I did a lot of water changes using a hydrometer. Turns out it was not acurate. I'm waiting on a refractometer as we speak.

BTW, the eflo is dead!

I didnt see that you indicated if your tank was BB or sand? Would adding the filter socks cause an algea outbreak to go away? I attrribute your success to the clean up crew.

I have a sand bed. I'm not sure it is a good thing. If I stir the bed ALOT of detritis floats out. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Sorry I was a little confused, was it reducing the high salinity that caused your tank to improve or the addition of the filter socks and foam block?

Not sure. I think the first step is to remove as much detritis as you can. The high salinity may have also helped, but don't know for sure.

usually low alk leads to algae outbreaks.
other suspects - old lights
old ro filters & membrane

cut back on feeding for a week or two may help as well.

Glad to hear things are on a better path - you will love refractometer - I do.

i had even higher salinity issues!!!

1.035 for, i am guessing, months!!!

horrific plating/lettuce algae issues despite alk of 10!

how horrific?

i just grew and grew smothering almost all my zoo colonies! to say it was disheartening is an understatement...

now i have a calibrated refractometer and recalibrate it once a week!

raised my alk to 12 got my salinity to 1.025 via refractometer and plating algae has almost fully disappeared!

i have now adjusted my alk back down to 10 again...

badbones (tony) was more than gracious to help restock my sps that was lost due to my 'episode'. i cant thank him enough for helpin' a brutha out in down times! :)

Back