"Frag" of the Month - December '06

Skipper

Premium Member
This month Greg Hiller demonstrates a technique for fragmenting Plate corals in the article, "Propagating Fungia sp. (Plate coral)."

More details can be found here or by clicking on the picture above.

funny my green and orange plate were all propagated, and the lil brown one came on a rock and is now making babies on the dead spot(you can just barly see the new one starting..green mouth).
Picture_221b_%28Medium%29.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8733172#post8733172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thing2do
how long does it take 4 them to regain the original round shape after fragging?
I was wondering that also ;) No specific time listed but the previously mentioned article says, "Unfortunately, most Fungia are fairly slow growing corals. It might be possible to fragment a Fungia only once every few years. Over time the corals regain their roughly circular form, though sometimes they may have unusual skeletal features, and sometimes multiple mouths."

I cant ignore the rust on the tools!
Is it safe for reefers to use rusty tools when cutting the soft tissues of corals? Wouldn't the rust cause infections or possible poison the coral?

On the other hand, its good to know you can propagate Fungia Sp.
Does anyone really do it though? (based on how slow they grow)

>how long does it take 4 them to regain the original round shape after fragging?<

Really depends upon the colony. I've found some to grow much faster than others. I'd say months to years.

>I cant ignore the rust on the tools!
Is it safe for reefers to use rusty tools when cutting the soft tissues of corals? Wouldn't the rust cause infections or possible poison the coral?<

I've not found it to be a big deal. Any bits of rust are not likely to become impregnated in the coral.

>On the other hand, its good to know you can propagate Fungia Sp.
Does anyone really do it though? (based on how slow they grow)<

I do! Remember 2 becomes 4 then 8 then 16. If you are patient you can have a pretty big garden of them.

the lil one i have as well as the big orange one that sprouted mine both have a dead batch like a pizza slice on them which just keep sprouting babies. The green one, I got from a local reefer who has a"tree" made up of broken plate bits that keeps poping off babies, very similar to the artical just with the bits glued to a tree shaped rock.

my fungia is growin gon the side of a piece of tonga branch live rock. On its underside are 4 new fungia's. Do I need to break them off ? I have been told that they will eventually seperate on their own. is this the case ?
Thanks,
Alle

Back