Frag size does matter

OK, is that a GARF bonsai? The coral I was referring to is a bonsai I got at the PBMAS swap. 20 tips about that size broke off in the bucket on the way home. 18 survived and have new growth (and new polyps) on the plugs.

OK, is that a GARF bonsai? The coral I was referring to is a bonsai I got at the PBMAS swap. 20 tips about that size broke off in the bucket on the way home. 18 survived and have new growth (and new polyps) on the plugs.

Im not sure of the origin. To me it's just a very purple nana.

LOL, and now I have to clean soda off my computer screen... According to the pros yours should all be dead :)

I think it's more about how they handled them when they were out of the water vs in the water Just from how much and what kind of glue you use your death rate could vary by a ton... imo these guys just didn't have the experience, they did succeed in killing some frags of an endangered species though.

Fancy bar graphs are good, but when you're ignoring every variable that affects frags other than size you're throwing science out the window. It reminds me of a story I heard from my statistics professor a decade ago: there's a direct link between hole-in-ones on golf courses and drownings, and it sure looks good on paper as long as you ignore that they all happen on sunny days when more people are outside.

Sounds like it's straight out of Freakonomics or Super Freakonomics. Including and withholding certain information to sway the reader to a certain outcome.

This study had potential, but they fell short in many areas that have been listed by others.

This sort of study would be vary interesting with a colony grow in a persons tank and fragged in or next to that tank and then all frags placed back into that same tank. A coral that isn't too delicate or too hardy. How about a 100 frags just to make the study a bit more credible instead of each frag being worth a ~7 percent fluctuation.

I don't usually cut them that small, those are from corals that refuse to grow and the frags are taken to stimulate growth, however all the cuttings survive almost every time I do it. The only reason I see not to frag that small is that they take forever to grow into small colonies.

How well does that trick work for you, to kick-start growth?

It's a hit or miss. Some coral will take off after be fragged others grow over the cut area but that's about it. This particular coral seems to be showing signs of multiple tips from each cut area starting to emerge so lets see what happens.

I've found it to be true of all acropora and montipora branching corals I have personally tried. If two 1/4" nubs are close to each other, snap one off and in about a month the fragged nub is twice as long as it's neighbor. A local told me about it and I couldn't believe it. I tried it on at least 8 of my more hardy specimens and it seems to hold true after several months. I cannot scientifically quanitify anything, except that just from branch growth it appears to work. Does this limit other areas from increasing in length or the spreading of the encrusted zone? These areas have yet to be defined and I think a more formal review is needed.

But to follow the trend of this thread, a thorough review and investigation would be required before anyone would put too much positive emphasis on a 'study' by an unpublished, mad scientist as myself.:wildone:

I break branches regularly now and it at least forces me to trade frags for more frags/credits in return.

Back