Fragged some Xenia -- who ate it?!?

i gave my neighbor some for free for his tank thats doing very well and it was gone by morning.he thought his was eaten but it just dissolved.

When you cut the coral it releases chemicals that could signal distress to scavengers in you aquarium. Kind of like the smell of death, so they jump all over it.

It still sounds to me like it melted.
Ive had xenia in my tank for years now and cut tons of frags but before that had a hard time keeping it until I started using reef plus.
When they melt the arms fall off and can look like something ate it.
I have several fish, pistol shrimp, hermits, several kinds of snails including bumble bee, tons of micro stars and never saw anything eat my xenia.
I have 2 kinds the pink pulsing and elongata.
I just cut off the heads and throw them on the bottom on some rubble in low flow to propagate them.

kass

hmmm,thats interesting.i use reef plus as well and 11 stalks have turned into 35 in 3 months.i've done all kinds of experiments and basically they can't be killed in my tank.maybe its the reef plus.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7711148#post7711148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ziggy222
have you ever smelled cut xenia?its anything but yummy.my gf gagged once while i was cutting it lol.

Doesn't need to smell good to attack scavengers ;)

Back