Free 5' Round Tank and Stand, But...

dmorel

Can I borrow your towel
Hi there. Some of you may remember me as one of the founding members of PROP many years ago. I was pretty active in the forums and the local community for a long time, but my tank has been through some ups and downs and is now empty. It's ready for its next home, and... it's FREE for the taking.

Here's what it currently looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/Cn1xxaA

It's dirty, as you can see because we drained it fast as the last of the livestock was moved out, but nothing a half hour of vinegar and water wouldn't fix. It DOES have some minor crazing that can't be buffed out (mostly on what would be the "back" of that picture, but also a tiny bit on what would be the front right), but it's really not noticable. The tank is totally usable and fairly unique. You can even have the closed loop plumbing but not the pump or the the wavemaker.

There's a catch though, you have to take the stand, and I'm not sure how to get it out of the house. It won't fit out the door, it's about two inches too big, we had to take out a door frame to get it in, but I can't pay for that to give it away.

So if you want it, you need to have a clever way to get that stand out. I don't personally have a good idea other than cutting it with a torch, which is obviously not ideal since you can't use it then, and also, I don't have a torch to cut it with.

I'm available on Friday the 15th during the day, and probably the Monday and Tuesday after that, and my wife is out of town.

Not to sound like a jerk, but it's not a "dibs" thing. Simply posting first does not guarantee you the tank and stand. I will give preference to people that want to use the tank for a display themselves AND can articulate a plan to get the stand out. If you know me outside of RC, feel free to reach out directly, else post here and I'll check back in over the next few days.

Happy Reefing and stuff.
.dm

Can you share with us the dimensions of the stand? I want to be sure it fits in my dining room before hiring someone with a torch to cut it andvmove to my place. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sure. Just the stand sits at 38" tall right now, you can +/- about 1/2" with the leveling bolts. It's 61" edge to edge without the wooden topper that you see (which is not necessary, but you're welcome to have). As it sits with the wood rim, it's almost 6' exactly round end to end, because there is 6" of "table" which is perfect for putting your feet up or holding a beer ;)

If you care, as it sits, the top of the tank is 56" off the ground.

Portable bandsaw to cut through the rectangular structural tubing to get a good, clean separation that would remove minimal material and allow for an easy weld to save the stand for installation at the new location. It would take about 5 minutes with little mess.

Free 5' Round Tank and Stand, But...

Even a sawzall with a few blades would get it out then mig weld it back together. Or weld inserts in all of the cut legs and you can slip the top of the stand onto the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dave
Hiring a welder to come out dissemble is ideal, but don't know enough about welding to determine that.

imo, cutting through the horizontal steel (looking from top down, cutting it down the middle like a cake) would be less work as it will only take 4 cuts oppose to all the legs which will require 6 cuts :) this is assuming the circular wood boards are easily removeable. it can easily be weld back or framed back to original structural integrity.

this would make a badass look down lagoon display tank if lowered about 6-12". definitely interested if still available

Hey Dave
Hiring a welder to come out dissemble is ideal, but don't know enough about welding to determine that.

imo, cutting through the horizontal steel (looking from top down, cutting it down the middle like a cake) would be less work as it will only take 4 cuts oppose to all the legs which will require 6 cuts :) this is assuming the circular wood boards are easily removeable. it can easily be weld back or framed back to original structural integrity.

this would make a badass look down lagoon display tank if lowered about 6-12". definitely interested if still available

The wood is super easy to remove. It's not fastened down at all. I'm 99% sure we glued the two pieces together but it's not bolted down to the stand at all and would be trivial to remove. It can be reused as is, restained, or simply discarded.

I'm going to leave the logistics/method of dealing with the stand to whomever decides to take the tank as I'm simply not knowledgeable enough in that area to know, so I can't comment on the cutting/welding - but seems like a solvable problem from what people have PMed and/or commented. If you were going to lower it though, I'm not sure the best method for that. (though to be 100% transparent, I don't care so long as you take the stand goes with the tank).

It is still available. While I got a bunch of PMs but no one has committed to anything yet so if you are interested let me know. I'm around Friday this week & Monday or Tuesday roughly 10 AM to 3:00 with a little flexibility depending on the day, but unfortunately not really available during the evenings (which I suspect is one of the reasons no one has locked in yet).

Francis can have first shot at it. But I can be available during Friday, Monday or Tuesday to take it down and away for you if Francis or others cannot.

The main reason I have not asked is because I won't be able to set this up until I finish building my new house. Got the land and working with an architect now so it will be a year or so. I wanted others who can use it soon to get first shot at it.

But if no one chimes in by Thursday, I would take it and make it shorter and make it a lagoon tank as Francis suggested. But as I said, it will take me a while before I can set it up. But I am designing a fish room in my new house so it would be good to have.

I am open one way or another. Just let me know. I need advance notice to get the proper tools but I have done this before repair my metal stand.

The wood is super easy to remove. It's not fastened down at all. I'm 99% sure we glued the two pieces together but it's not bolted down to the stand at all and would be trivial to remove. It can be reused as is, restained, or simply discarded.

I'm going to leave the logistics/method of dealing with the stand to whomever decides to take the tank as I'm simply not knowledgeable enough in that area to know, so I can't comment on the cutting/welding - but seems like a solvable problem from what people have PMed and/or commented. If you were going to lower it though, I'm not sure the best method for that. (though to be 100% transparent, I don't care so long as you take the stand goes with the tank).

It is still available. While I got a bunch of PMs but no one has committed to anything yet so if you are interested let me know. I'm around Friday this week & Monday or Tuesday roughly 10 AM to 3:00 with a little flexibility depending on the day, but unfortunately not really available during the evenings (which I suspect is one of the reasons no one has locked in yet).

Thanks Dave,

Yeah, schedule is something going to hard to work with as we are all busy. I understand and respect your time to meet. I'll text you if I'm able to swing by on your schedule and see if its still available! Either ways, hope it goes to a home it deserves. Followed your built thread years ago and it was inspiring!

Van, same boat as you, thanks tho.

Sorry, I should have posted earlier - I think Van is going to make it happen. If anything changes, I'll post again, but looks like it's got a place to go.

Back