fresh water dip

thephoenix48

Ok after reading all the posts I decided i had nothing to lose. One of my squamosas was obviously unhappy and not getting any better. About half of the mantle was crimped so I did a 30 min fresh water dip. Turned the lights out and checked on him this morning after the lights had been on for a few hours. Definite change. Not sure if for the better but definite response. The clam was fully open looking like gaping but mantle extended. i will check again today after the lights come on. will post results.

hm

8 days later

8 days later

Today is 8 days after the freshwater dip. The squamosa appears to be fully recovered. There must be something to this method. Does anyone know anything about adding sugar to the freshwater dip? Or was I hallucinating?

hm

that's what I thought too...

that's what I thought too...

After reading all the threads here on fresh water dips...I decided that was the norm. It was kinda of scary but it worked.

30 minutes is fine

30 minutes is fine

Just remember that in the wild clams will be out of the water during a low tide for alot longer than that and the last lime I checked they dont carry umbrellas.:D These guys are alot tougher than you may think! Just because they are pretty does not mean they are fragile! Just try to pet my peacock mantis.:D I hope all is well with your squammy!:rollface:

I chickened out at 5 mins with my big squamosa. He was flapping and squirting water all over the place and still looks terrible now. Is this normal for the rest of you guys too?

When I dipped my 4 clams they didn't really move much at all. They just closed up and sat there like "good little clams".:D

One of my max clams is starting to show signs of a pinched mantel. Just noticed the mantel pinching started yesterday. Should I try a f/w dip it? If so, what do I need to do to prep the water? Just match the PH to the tank?

Back