frogspawn feeding?

hops523

I have a frogspawn coral with two heads. Ive tried to feed it mysis shrimp a few times. I turn off all the filltration and power heads, and squirt some mysis on the frogspawn heads. The mysis seem to just sit in the tentacles for awhile then seem to slip out. Am I doing something wrong? Should I squirt the mysis straight at the mouth?

ive found that if i squirt right at it it gets upset and closes a little. try to release food above it a few inches and let it fall to the FS gently.

I had the same issue trying to feed my frogspawn mysis shrimp.
Just recently broke off some pieces of shrimp (human type) and dropped them into the frogspawn, he grabed right onto them.
Now I have a question ... how much and how often should you feed a frogspawn??
Thank You

I actually successfully fed both heads yesterday with mysis shrimp. I got the turkey baster really close to the mouth and just gently squirt them mysis, and after awhile the frog just ate it. But how often should I feed?

It all depends on how fast you want it to grow. I would feed no more than twice a week. You really dont have to feed it that often. I had mine for about a year before i started feeding. Mine had 2 heads like yours and over that year it grew into 4 heads. When i started feeding I had very fast growth. its now been 2.5 years and it now has 16 heads. I have to start fragging it b/c the heads are spliting faster than they branch out so they will start to smother eachother.

^^^Wow thats crazy. So the feeding really set off the growth. Im looking for the quickest growth I can get out of this guy. So I guess I'll start feeding.

Did you ever notice when one of the heads had two mouths? If so did you still feed that head?

I never fed each head one at a time. I would just let the mysis fall gently onto the Frogspawn. If it wants to eat it will, if not then it dosnt. Ive never forced any of my corals to eat (putting food directly into mouth). When you see it with 2 mouths its usualy spliting. the split does take a while (months) since they have to divide the skeleton and then branch out. Its not just feeding that boosts growth, you also need to have very good water params and chemistry.

I will try to dig up some old pics of when i first got the Frog and then tonight right after lights out when it retracts ill get a bunch of shots of the heads. It has to be after lights out b/c when fully expanded its so full you cant even see the trunk of it. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12880226#post12880226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hiendmusic1
I did not fed my Frogspawn. But they still growing fine

+1 i don't directly feed mine either. No growth problems here.

Back