Frozen chiller

Charlie's Angel

My chiller is frozen...still works but temp has risen 1 degree. I know it may need refrigerent or have other issues, but my question is how long will it work before it completely stops. I have killed my halides for tomorrow and that should help, but I can't do that for long and won't be able to fix the chiller tomorrow or even Friday.

I don't have a chiller, but I have had this happen to A/C units before. Could be one of two things --- out/low on refrigerant, or it isn't getting enough air flow. Also, could check to see that the water is flowing through it at the proper rate.

If you have some fans, use them to blow across the water. You would be surprised at home much that will bring the temp down.

unplug it, let it thaw and try again.

Check the Condenser coil (the only one that you can see probably located in the back) for dirt.

If your chiller is inside a cabinet it may not be getting enough air to the condenser to cool off the refrigerant. Or you may be low on Reefer.

Thanks guys...I unplugged it last night to let it defrost. I know nothing about these things. Asking some local reefers for assistance. The manual doesn't give me much. I'm looking at fans today as well.

I would say low on gas needs to be recharged.But this means there is a leak in the lines somewhere so that will have to be fixed or you will keep have the same probs.

If you want to bring it up to detroit I'll fix it for you LOL.
Seriously a dirty condenser or blocked air flow will definitely effect the cooling but it will not make the unit ice up. It will only ice up from, no water flow through chiller, a bad thermostat(not likely) or it is low on refrigerant and has a leak(most likely). If you just add refrigerant and don't repair the leak it will stop working again at the most inconvenient time.

Back