ge 6500k t5's

I think the actinic giesemanns are great and at least as good as the 6 ft uri actinics I used to use. oh yeah I can run 2 of the 4 ft t5 bulbs for almost the same power as 1 vho actinic. \
dave you got any new pics of your tank?

Not latley... been fighting a hair algae outbreak since I went on vacation for 2 weeks and had someone else take care of the tank..... needless to say they forgot to change the filter socks and over feed...

vacuum and vodka
how much co2 are you using by the way on your reactor? and where do you put the effluent back into the sump? in the socks are about the best place I think. in front of the skimmer may over oxygenate and do really wierd things and if it is right in front of the main pump it may not get rid of the co2 and possibly cause algea problems.

Vacuum the tank and drink vodka? Yeah that's about what I been doing... hahahaha

I'm at about 50 bubbles per minute when the reactor does come on, which is usually late in the afternoon when pH hits 8.3 as far as total use, haven't even seen the gauge move yet but the media is disappearing.

The effluent is going back into the via the skimmer return, it does not go into the skimmer just drips into the return.

The Ge is quite yellow, but it also can push reds and oranges into the forefront so for some corals it makes a nice apearanca. It also can grow hella chaeto, and other algaes love this spectrum on it's own. Makes a fantastic grow bulb for plants as an alternative to HPS. It will cause growth in corals no questions. It needs to be tamed with blue if you want a white, or bluish tank. one each of the Blue+, pure actinic, AquaBlue+, and GE65k makes a nice look, when set up front to back, B+,AB+, GE, PA. 1:1 ratio Ge and B+ give a 10k ushio look. It is a cheap bulb, but is made quite well. I have shipped many and not broken one, compared to the Current USA ones, which have about 30% survival in post.

I have preordered enough UVL t5ho's to test every possible D&D /UVL combo up to 6 bulb. I hope to receive them in the next two weeks. I am not overly excited about the non blue UVL's but the proof will be in the pudding.

There are other options too. AB and coralVue buy their buolbs from th same supplier in China and make a decent bulb for the money. They will balcken quickly, and do not like being overdriven. The 10k is not yellow, and is quite bright. The blue is iffy. Closer to B+ than UVL Ultra Actinic. Hamilton is selling a supposedly German made bulb, and I have not ordered any to test out. They do ok with MH and PC so maybe these are a decent low cost option.

Any GE distibutor who wants your business will be able to get these 65k t5ho, it just seems like many lighting suppliers do not like going out of their way for aquarium folk.

landragon are you saying hamilton has t5ho bulbs? do coralvue have t5's also? I haven't really been looking at other t5 bulbs since I figured ati were good bulbs. now with the confusion on whether they actually make bulbs I figure someone sliding in the geisemann bulbs as the same thing I may as well lok at other options because who knows if they are telling me the truth or if someone is telling them the truth to pass on to me. I know aquamedic has t5's but I have never been impressed with anything they make. never liked the pink ab halides and the ushio's were a little too yellow for my liking. if it were halides I would be running radiums for sure if you can get what I like in color.

Others brand their bulbs from a few mfgr's. Narva in Germany make the former ATI, now D&D/Geissmann ones. I believe they are the same spectrums as the old ATI. Now ATI had a falling out with the Narva plant and has seeked other Mfgr's. I think they have found one, and either just released new bulbs in Europe, or are about to. Their spectrums are different than their old bulbs and I believe they are a tri band Vs a 5 band coating of phosphours. Yes others also sell chinese made bulbs. I think there are some good ones, but none sold in the US. Like I said the CV, and AB ones are from the same plant and are the same bulb. Only AB calls it a 1000k and CV calls it a 50/50. Their blue are interchangable. Can be found under 15 dollars most vendors that carry it. looks about like a standard Current satelite, with a hint of more blue, sacrificing a tad fluorescence. That would be a 1:! white:blue I am talking of there. So far the German made have performed better, and been more popular in the hobby, with the GE6500 edging over the ATI/D&D/Geissmann Sun because it is brighter, and people see too much green from the German Sun. I like The Sun myself as it caused less algae, albeit this was in the early stages of my tank and algae cycles could not be ruled out for the difference. Definitely not scientific. For what it is worth, I ended up using a six bulb set up, front to back, B+>AB+>Sun/or GE 6500>AB+>PA>AB+ It looked like my setup now with 2 x 250 Hamiltom 14k + 1 x 54W B+ and 1 x 54W PA, with more day to it. I would say I have a 14K now and a 12K then. I loved the color, but hated the non shimmer, and got the MH at a great deal.

Bringing up a thread from the dead does anyone still use the ge6500 t5s I just put one on my tank to see if there are a lot of color changes in my corals .I was currently running ....p+.b+.b+.c+ ...I removed the purple plus and put the 6500k in it's place and it's pretty yellow .I'm curious how it will change the colors of my corals in the next week or so. Let me know your thoughts

Back