Generator

hawkfish21

I just wanted to see who has a generator. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. What brand does everyone recommend?

I got a coleman 3750 a few months back. I lost power for about 9 hours so I had to go get one. I didn't have time to research so just went to Home Depot and got it. It worked great ran 3 MH return pump heater and my Tunze with it. I also used it to make coffee at the same time ;)

I have a beat up old honda. I havent needed to use it yet( knock on wood ).

If you get one just make sure it does more than 2000 watts. ( 1800 is the max power on a typical wall outlet 120*15=1800 ).

This will assure that you can run anything that can plug into a single outlet. That should be enough to keep the tank up through a power outage.

I saw a few on craigslist.

Stu

Second on the Coleman 3750. I did quite a bit of research and decided this was the best I could get in the $400 range. It took about 5 months to get it in, though, after Katrina. The new Hondas impressed me the most (very quiet) but at about twice the price.

I found one (2500 Watt running capacity) and paid less than $240 shipped on eBay, but theyre not available right now :-(. It's a Chinese aftermarket brand (United Power). I haven't tested it yet (maybe I'll have time today). It looks a lot like the Honda model.

Brad

so in reality, you just need power to run air pumps, right? I mean, hurricanes give cloud cover for more than 24 hours (plus night time) in most cases so livestock can survive without bright lights. My concern would be with O2 saturation in the tank. I have an airpump that is battery operated and puts out a lot of air, enough to fill up my 35" tires in less than 2 minutes from 10 psi to 35 psi. Would this be enough to keep the water staturated with O2?

Check out Pepboys or Checkers Auto parts. They usually have some specials on generators. I purchased one last year for my motorhome and it is 3500 watts and I paid $249.

I figure we're more likely to lose power in the winter, so I plan to run a return pump, some air pumps, and a few heaters, to keep the water oxygenated, warm, and flowing.

Brad

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6995259#post6995259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roguemonk
I figure we're more likely to lose power in the winter, so I plan to run a return pump, some air pumps, and a few heaters, to keep the water oxygenated, warm, and flowing.

Brad

I forgot about the heater!:eek2:

Back