Getting Back in after a LONG Hiatus

SO I am getting back in and the prices of livestock now have shocked me immensely.
Nonetheless; I am going to restart my 93G Cube, I have an SWC 250 S2 Skimmer that was working back in the day I need to check the pumps and see if they work. If not wondering what a good replacement would be ?

I have a Neptune Aquacontroller that has been sitting unused for quite some time.

Hoping this stuff still works s I can get a jump start to this.

I will try to document the journey here !

Plan for a primarily SPS reef . Fish would be clowns, a wrasse and gobies. Found an old supplier of SPS still around so I'm going to hit them ip once tank is ready and stable

That sounds nice. I'm setting up a nano that will be primarily sps. I'm getting aquacultured-live-rock tomorrow.

Sweet!! The Hobby kept calling me back. Would love to see your progress as well.

Has anyone had any experience with E Marco 400 in their reefs? Wondering if it caused any issues long term

SO I am getting back in and the prices of livestock now have shocked me immensely.
Nonetheless; I am going to restart my 93G Cube, I have an SWC 250 S2 Skimmer that was working back in the day I need to check the pumps and see if they work. If not wondering what a good replacement would be ?

I have a Neptune Aquacontroller that has been sitting unused for quite some time.

Hoping this stuff still works s I can get a jump start to this.

I will try to document the journey here !

Wow, that's a beast of a skimmer for 93 gallons. Is that the tank it was in before? Welcome back to the addiction.:)

Wow, that's a beast of a skimmer for 93 gallons. Is that the tank it was in before? Welcome back to the addiction.:)

Yeah It was on this tank before and did a more than splendid job, I had it on a 48x48x12 and it was perfect, if the pumps still work I will continue if they are out I m ay have to look at other options

Welcome back! How long has it been since you were in the hobby? Equipment options have changed in the last 10 years but fortunately the science has not so I am sure that you will do fine. Good luck!

Welcome back! How long has it been since you were in the hobby? Equipment options have changed in the last 10 years but fortunately the science has not so I am sure that you will do fine. Good luck!

Vlangel its been so long I have Halides over my tank that I am restarting, I would say its been at least 8 years I have not had a tank

Thank you all for the kind words I am going to start the clean up of equipment and confirming operation this weekend

I am in the same boat as you but been away twice as long!!! You have more equipment than me (I don’t have any?) so you should be up and running well before me. I’ll keep checking in!

I know metal halide are old lighting technology but they are still a good choice, especially if combined with some T5s. When I needed to replace my 30" T5 fixture because I couldn't get 30" bulbs anymore, I considered metal halide. There were so many LED options and I was overwhelmed. Metal halide seemed simpler and I knew they were effective. I would not hesitate to use them if I had them but since I had to buy whatever I chose, I went with LEDs because of the electric efficiency and less heat issues.

Vlangel, good point I did like MH but bulb also seem quite hard to find as well. I did some clean up and found most of the equipment is done for (my own doing for leaving in garage). I will be looking for powerbeads; a good DC return pump . I was looking at 8x24w ATI T5 fixtures, Also rethinking the Aquascape, may try for a rock wall on two sides of tank and use the Emarco 400 to bind rock for arches

I replaced my old mag drive 9.5 return pump a few years ago for a Jabao DC return pump. Again the electric efficiency, less heat and the variable speed are the reason I switched. That's been 4-5 years ago and the Jabao has been flawless. It was under $100 with a lot of muscle. My sump is in the basement but the display is in my living room so I have 15 ft of head pressure to consider. The Jabao is dead silent too. Just sharing my experience as you look into return pumps.

Vlangel that is exactly what I am looking for the Protocol from the wife states that the tank should be as quiet as possible, also now she wants it in a different location..... I have a lot of planning ahead of me. Trust me any advice is very welcomed don't want mess this one up

Vlangel that is exactly what I am looking for the Protocol from the wife states that the tank should be as quiet as possible, also now she wants it in a different location..... I have a lot of planning ahead of me. Trust me any advice is very welcomed don't want mess this one up

Your SWC skimmer likely works against the quiet mantra. One thing i highly recommend is one of these overflows. I did the simpler Herbie style and my overflow doesn't even make a trickle sound. I love it.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

https://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system/

Back