Getting back into the hobby

docdubz

I'm at a completely loss. I haven't been in the hobby for over a decade and it seems like everything I learned that worked back then has been abandoned for new concepts that I can't seem to wrap my head around. I've been researching for over a year now and the hobby has changed so much that I need to admit that I'm not going to learn any new tricks this time around. Last time reef I had was a Berlin method deep sand bed 30 gal. I feel like if I could keep and overstocked 30 gallon thriving with no filtration then I shouldn't have a problem with anything but all this new stuff has me second guessing myself.

So... Here's my situation. I have a 65 gallon. It is not drilled so a sump isn't really an option. I would like to at least get a fowlr going as soon as possible and eventually build it up into a reef. What equipment should i get and what media should I run in said equipment. Speaking of which all the new media blows my mind...

Also, why does it seem like everyone's moved to shallow sand beds? I always enjoyed the aesthetics of the microfauna frigging around in deep sand and I always found the risk of tank failure to be directly related to not having enough sand sifters.

A HOB downflow can let you have a sump. A skimmer and, a pump in the sump, I use a relatively deep sandbed. YOu do need to employ some sandsifter fishes or inverts. OTOH, some do drill their own---ask around. It's do-able. A glue-in double-walled downflow box with a drain in the bottom, with your return line coming in via hose and pipe. You need a decent drill and better advice than I can give: mine came reef-ready. Things that have really changed: total reliance on sand and rock for processing waste; metal halides have given way to LED for power-saving and variability. Can't say corals grow better, but the power bill is lower and the 'bulbs' last years, not months.

Great idea to research it up before diving back in. All the stuff that worked for you years ago still works. No need to abandon it. I'm sure a few of the new things have some appeal. Add what makes sense to you. Enjoy!

i think the idea of deep sand beds is always a mixed bag. The question comes with are you going to clean it or not? in my display i put 3 inches or so of sand but in my sump i have around 12". Whats in the sump i don't mess with, and what's in the display gets churned up all the time. sand will hold pollutants and gunk, so if it's not going to be messed with and overcome your filtration great, if not go shallower to avoid so much buildup.

It's funny, I'm getting back into the hobby after a long break from it too. Seems to me the biology and chemistry hasn't changed but the technology and techniques have. I'm pulling myself out of the 90s with a sump full of bioballs and metal halide lamps to embrace LEDs, rimless tanks, titanium heaters and wave makers....lol.... I don't think the learning ever ends.

It certainly seems like it has been made easier for newbies to get into the hobby. I remember back when I set up my first reef how I had entire notebooks full of notes I had taken. And, from what I'm seeing it doesn't seem like that level of enthusiasm is required anymore to have a thriving tank. But, on the other hand, I'm also seeing a lot of debate about stuff like whether or not the new LED's are actually a good choice and serious problems with quality control from brands that used to be great. To be honest I find it overwhelming.

From what i've witnessed from being involved, then leaving, then coming back almost 25 yrs. later is this: If you have deep pockets AND the room, or i should say rooms really.... as a separate fish room is REALLY nice for housing all pipes, electricals, dosers, a QT tank, a sink, & countertop & supplys etc..... then anything is possible & full automation. If not, then yes one has to determine what is automated & what is done manually to save space or money.
And the choices are almost limitless with a simple tank with HOB filters & in tank powerheads and hand dosing manually ( which i do) to an all in one sys, to what i stated above going all in as they say in a poker game. Many more manufacturers of products then used to be it really does come down to space, long term interest, & money.

Back