Getting back into the hobby

scubayou

Getting back into the hobby. Im a long time reef enthusiast that has been out for over 12 plus years. Everthing has come such a long way and I'm not sure where to start. My last set up was 20 years of 75gal reef, halides, actinic tubes, timers, wet/dry, overflow return box,1200 gph pump, protien skimmer. Long story short…..Would love to know if there is now a good company that sells a complete set up that has advanced components and lighting that can sustain 50-75 gallon reef without building it from scratch. I appreciate any advice and thank you.

There’s plenty of systems that sell pretty much complete set ups. RedSea, Cade, Waterbox, Innovative Marine. I believe all these brands either come with or allow for lighting add ons

Edit to add…welcome back! And some of those systems can be All in ones or with sumps

LED has changed quite a bit over the years. Even a lot of your cheaper lights are good enough to support corals. It just depends how much control you want. Your basic lights like Viparspectra, MarsAqua, etc have limited 2 channel control but will grow corals. Then you have Smat farm, around the same price point, which gives you six channel control and a remote (the remote is junk but I use this light on my wife’s anemone tank and I love it). Mid range price point your looking at Noopsyche or ReefBreeders. I believe both of these now have app control and are also multi channel. Then you get into expensive brand names like AI, Neptune, GHL, Orphek, etc…these usually will have the most control (up to 10 channels I believe depending on brand) and some of the most user friendly interfaces. All will grow corals effectively

Getting back into the hobby. Im a long time reef enthusiast that has been out for over 12 plus years. Everthing has come such a long way and I'm not sure where to start. My last set up was 20 years of 75gal reef, halides, actinic tubes, timers, wet/dry, overflow return box,1200 gph pump, protien skimmer. Long story short…..Would love to know if there is now a good company that sells a complete set up that has advanced components and lighting that can sustain 50-75 gallon reef without building it from scratch. I appreciate any advice and thank you.
Seems like a good opportunity to watch for a complete used system.

LED has changed quite a bit over the years. Even a lot of your cheaper lights are good enough to support corals. It just depends how much control you want. Your basic lights like Viparspectra, MarsAqua, etc have limited 2 channel control but will grow corals. Then you have Smat farm, around the same price point, which gives you six channel control and a remote (the remote is junk but I use this light on my wife’s anemone tank and I love it). Mid range price point your looking at Noopsyche or ReefBreeders. I believe both of these now have app control and are also multi channel. Then you get into expensive brand names like AI, Neptune, GHL, Orphek, etc…these usually will have the most control (up to 10 channels I believe depending on brand) and some of the most user friendly interfaces. All will grow corals effectively
Thanks great information ill be checking them out

Back