GFCI help!!!! Thanks!

TriniStylez

I know my power situation is an accident waiting to happen. I am in an apartment and can't really modify anything. Is there a way to get GFCI protection without changing the actual outlets? Im also wondering about a way to add more power in general...if that makes any sense? I guess what Im saying is that I use a few power bars plugged into an outlet and this must be way too much for a single outlet! Hope that makes some sense to someone! I don't know much about this!

Please help...I need to fix this asap.

Re: GFCI help!!!! Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880943#post9880943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TriniStylez
I know my power situation is an accident waiting to happen. I am in an apartment and can't really modify anything. Is there a way to get GFCI protection without changing the actual outlets? Im also wondering about a way to add more power in general...if that makes any sense? I guess what Im saying is that I use a few power bars plugged into an outlet and this must be way too much for a single outlet! Hope that makes some sense to someone! I don't know much about this!

Please help...I need to fix this asap.

Its not a great idea to run everything off a single GFCI anyway. I learned by experience... GFCI trips like they sometimes do and BAM!!! the whole tank, pumps, lights, fans, everything.... dead for the next 12 - 20 hours and I was 600 miles from home talking my hysterical, irate wife through salvaging what was still alive... not good (and very expensive).

As for more power If you have another outlet nearby that's on a different circuit that would be best. You can determine what's on each circuit by turning off breakers one at a time to determine which outlets are affected. Make sure any extension cords you use are properly rated for the load you intend to plug into them. The reason I say this is because even cords that look heavy sometimes only have 16 GA. conductors just like the brown "zip cords" and are fire hazards with even a light load plugged into them.

Tim

you can go to home depot and get the GFCI plug in's... they are where the extension cords are, i have two of them on my system, and they work :)

Back