GFO - carbon dual reactor

Redsox Nation

So quick question, recently picked up a nextreef dual reactor and was curious to know do I run the carbon 1st followed by the GFO or should I run them separately off 2 pumps??

Id run the GFO first and just use 1 pump. Just make sure you can adjust the flow going into the gfo to a light tumble, and pack the carbon tight so it doesn't tumble.

Id run the GFO first and just use 1 pump. Just make sure you can adjust the flow going into the gfo to a light tumble, and pack the carbon tight so it doesn't tumble.

+1

This is how I have mine set up. PUMP-> VALVE -> GFO -> CARBON.

if you have 2 reactors and 1 pump the best way to do it is put a "Y" fitting coming off the pump and run 2 separate hoses with gate valves on them to control the flow to each reactor. The issue running it with one pump in line is each media requires A different tumble rate and you will either be giving one reactor to much flow or one not enough.

Maybe I used the wrong word there Mike. The point I was trying to make is they both require 2 different flow rates. Yes, you can run them in a row with GFO first then carbon and just get whatever flow rate you end up with after the water goes through the GFO reactor. The optimal way to do it is as I described so to allow 2 separate flow rates set correctly. Carbon generally requires a higher flow rate than GFO. You want the carbon to stay fluidized so that it doesn't settle to the bottom. Water will take the path of the least resistance so if the carbon doesn't stay fluidized (not enough flow) and settles to the bottom it will cause channeling. Your wasting your time and money if this happens.

I have to agree with Mr Harvard with a Y or T to get optimal flow to each reactor. I always run mine off a manifold setup to adjust individually, but the other way does work

Maybe I used the wrong word there Mike. The point I was trying to make is they both require 2 different flow rates. Yes, you can run them in a row with GFO first then carbon and just get whatever flow rate you end up with after the water goes through the GFO reactor. The optimal way to do it is as I described so to allow 2 separate flow rates set correctly. Carbon generally requires a higher flow rate than GFO. You want the carbon to stay fluidized so that it doesn't settle to the bottom. Water will take the path of the least resistance so if the carbon doesn't stay fluidized (not enough flow) and settles to the bottom it will cause channeling. Your wasting your time and money if this happens.

I have to agree with Mr Harvard with a Y or T to get optimal flow to each reactor. I always run mine off a manifold setup to adjust individually, but the other way does work

well as stated before...I have 2 pumps at the house already and per the suggestion of both..instead of the T or Y i'll just run both pumps. Or technically I do have (2) little fishes valves so I can install one before each media with the 1 pump....

Honestly I don't see a "need" to run 2 different flows. The GFO is the only one that you would need to be able to adjust, a slight tumble on the surface is a nice flow for GFO. However with Carbon you dont want it to move, if it does it pulverizes itself, so you sock it down with with felt or other "sponge" media to hold the carbon in place. If the carbon doesn't move, then your good doesn't really matter how much water is moving by the carbon. So running the carbon after the GFO is a perfectly good way to run this setup. Less equipment running, same results.

My 2cents

Back