Confused on Algae Reactor

oceanfrank

Tank is 150gal+30gal 4 chamber sump, Bought a used system that came with an Octopus REGAL 200S skimmer, Octo CO2 Scrubber, Apex 2, Trident, a RedSea Reefmat 1200, and a four chamber sump. I stripped the tank stand down completely (to clean and repair some things), and now close to purchasing new plumbing. But trying to figure out which reactors i need. Confused if I go the refugium route since I have room for it (which I understand can turn the water more yellow), go with a GFO/Carbon combo reactor along with a bio pellet setup, or go with perhaps an ARID system. I am leaning toward the ARID system ( to replace the refugium/ GFO-Carbon-Bio Pellet setup0, but wanted to get feedback from folks that have done this for a while (first time saltwater for me). Also should I move forward and get an Octo Calcium reactor now too?

Long term goal is for mixed SPS, LPS, and Fish

There is no one right way to be successful in this hobby. IME, two people can have the exact same setup; one will have tremendous success and one will struggle.

FWIW, been in the hobby since the 80’s and have no idea what an ARID system is🤣

I say go with the basics, see how you do. Then add things to help your tank from there based on how things are going.

Yes, the Pax Bellum A.R.I.D. N24 MacroAlgae reactor. I can see you have a vast amount of experience so certainly respect your feedback. Since, I am plumping from scratch, trying to take the opportunity to plan ahead and as much as possible now, so was soliciting if folks were able to replace the GFO/Carbon/Bio Pellot route (and for that matter refuge) with the A.R.I.D N4 MacroAlgae reactor, or does the MacroAlgae reactor end up being an +1 device to the GFO/Cabon/Bio reactor setup.

Yes, the Pax Bellum A.R.I.D. N24 MacroAlgae reactor. I can see you have a vast amount of experience so certainly respect your feedback. Since, I am plumping from scratch, trying to take the opportunity to plan ahead and as much as possible now, so was soliciting if folks were able to replace the GFO/Carbon/Bio Pellot route (and for that matter refuge) with the A.R.I.D N4 MacroAlgae reactor, or does the MacroAlgae reactor end up being an +1 device to the GFO/Cabon/Bio reactor setup.
No worries, I’m still running my tank pretty old school. I can let the younger generation answer your questions. @reefing102 get in here and help old griss out🤣😂

This is one I’m not greatest to help with unfortunately. I run a sump and used to have a fuge but no longer run it. I’ve never ran any other reactors (carbon/bio-pellet, algae, etc). I don’t even run a skimmer anymore (I have one, I just don’t use it).

I honestly would stick to the K.I.S. method, or keep it simple (no need for the second S), and start with the basics and add on as needed.

As for the calcium reactor, unless there’s a significant special somewhere, I’d wait until you’re stocked or at least think the calcium reactor would be better over dosing 2-part or a similar set up.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

If you want to use Chaeto I would use a reactor for one simple reason: Chaeto is messy and clogs screens, pump intakes and sponges. It just gets everywhere.

A reactor is a much cleaner way to grow it. Disadvantage is it is much easier to grab a hand full out of a sump and throw it away than to open a reactor every time.

Anything other than chaeto I would do it in a sump, separate container tank etc.

I have used the Reef Octopus reactors and they are pretty nice.

I prefer algae for nutrient control over media. More natural and cheaper. I use media for corrections if stuff get's out of control.

For the yellow just throw a bag of carbon in the sump.

I do have small media reactors though in every sump. I run mainly carbon in them but from time to time I throw in some GFO.

To me growing algae in a fuge is still part of Keep it simple. Growing algae outside the tank keeps it from growing inside the tank and to me algae is the number one issues new people have in the hobby.

I do not care much for bio pellets. I do add carbon to my tanks almost daily. I do so to increase bacteria populations for food for some corals. It also enhances skimming a little. I also do it because bacteria compete with algae so it can help there. Some people have been finding out that adding carbon is also beneficial to coral and helps with coloration and health of the corals. That said if you are beginning I would start with the basics and not worry about carbon yet.

Last edited:
If you want to use Chaeto I would use a reactor for one simple reason: Chaeto is messy and clogs screens, pump intakes and sponges. It just gets everywhere.

A reactor is a much cleaner way to grow it. Disadvantage is it is much easier to grab a hand full out of a sump and throw it away than to open a reactor every time.

Anything other than chaeto I would do it in a sump, separate container tank etc.

I have used the Reef Octopus reactors and they are pretty nice.

I prefer algae for nutrient control over media. More natural and cheaper. I use media for corrections if stuff get's out of control.

For the yellow just throw a bag of carbon in the sump.

I do have small media reactors though in every sump. I run mainly carbon in them but from time to time I throw in some GFO.

To me growing algae in a fuge is still part of Keep it simple. Growing algae outside the tank keeps it from growing inside the tank and to me algae is the number one issues new people have in the hobby.

I do not care much for bio pellets. I do add carbon to my tanks almost daily. I do so to increase bacteria populations for food for some corals. It also enhances skimming a little. I also do it because bacteria compete with algae so it can help there. Some people have been finding out that adding carbon is also beneficial to coral and helps with coloration and health of the corals. That said if you are beginning I would start with the basics and not worry about carbon yet.
Appreciate the response. This was my goal, to eliminate as much refills (bio-p, carbon, GHO, etc. ) as possible. Sounds like long term this is the way to go. Since I have room for the fuge and a cupped months supply of GHO, Carbon (and a BRS reactor, I might just stay with this, for several months to see what happens, with an eye on the algae reactor long term. Thank you for the feedback! Good thoughts.

Back