GFO Not Tumbling

wesside

I have a BRS reactor with GFO in it and I'm using a Rio 1000. The Rio has essentially the same GPH as the MJ1200 which is what BRS sells the reactor with. It's not clumped up because I turn it upside down and then turn the pump back on and it tumbles for a little while and then stops. Any suggestions?

Check to see if you install the pump the wrong inlet, or install the container of GFO in reactor upside down.

There is a little hole inside the reactor housing that may need to be cleaned. If you take the cartridge off and look up, you'll see it near the middle, off to the side slightly. You'll need a toothpick or needle or something fairly small. That may help but I'm not 100% sure if that's the cause... how much GFO are you using?

I'm using 1 cup. I think the instructions suggested starting a tablespoon per 4 gallons. My DT is 65 gallons.

Can't it be that it's simply too much gfo for the power head to tumble?

I use the high capacity for this reason smaller pump and less gfo to move around

You probably already checked but just in case- is the outlet hose kinked? It's easy for that to happen and put back pressure on the pump. Happened with my bio-pellet reactor a lot.

I've had the same problem before...

Here's what you should probably do:
1) Make sure the pump is functioning properly. If it is then...
2) Check the inlet/outlet in the housing (the hole that bvysochin described). This is the likely culprit. Buildup usually reduces/stops the flow, so I clean mine once a month by soaking it in vinegar or muriatic acid (which is even more effective). If you use muriatic acid (mixed with water), it will dissolve any buildup within a matter of minutes. Then you simply rinse it out, check that the blockage is gone by blowing through the inlet/outlet and voila!

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Chad

Wow that's crazy. I clean my Via Aqua Poly Reactor once every 14 years and it has never failed me ;)
Running and ducking now

Wow that's crazy. I clean my Via Aqua Poly Reactor once every 14 years and it has never failed me ;)
Running and ducking now

Hahaha... I could probably get away with not cleaning it monthly, but I've learned my lessons about not regularly maintaining/cleaning my equipment. :headwalls:

-Chad

Thank you everybody for the advice! I will try cleaning the hole to see how that works out. I can add that to the list of projects I have for my tank this weekend. My wife is really gonna love me. I can't remember who it is, but now I know why their sig line includes an apology to their wife for spending so much time on their tank.

It's working now. Not sure what did it since I took everything apart, cleaned it (including the infamous hole) and put it back together. Thanks again for the help!

If the water comes in and goes out correctly as designed, then water pressure is the only reason causing the GFO not tumbling. I would just for the heck of it, hook up a very strong pump to it to see if it is a blockage or pump issue.

After the years i will try to let live this post :)
I have just bought everything to create something very similar to BRS GFO reactor but not getting a tumble.
Having Eheim 1000 to run and around 167 grams of GFO and no movement on the top. I have also removed the sponge from the tube where i have GFO in cartridge.
Should be that enough of power to get it moving?
I have 3/8 tubes on cartridge instead of 1/2 similar to BRS, that should not be a big issue.

Odoslané z ANE-LX1 pomocou Tapatalku

After all these years... People realize they don't need to run GFO anymore!! Lol

Jk
How come? They are just putting vodka and stuff there? :)
I have excess PO4 which i cant get low with carbon dosing or macroalgae etc.

Odoslané z ANE-LX1 pomocou Tapatalku

Back