GHA or bryopsis

apstreck

I'm having a widespread algae breakout in my new tank and I want to get it under control before it takes over. Just wondering of what I'm seeing is GHA or bryopsis... it is literally everywhere... on the rocks and glass. uploadfromtaptalk1453254761618.jpg
6f0f57f0400fe581e93d8bd6a469aac1.jpg

The light is a bit bright for me to give you my 100% opinion. Does your CUC touch it? If not, it's more than likely bryopsis.

Note the feather like growth.

I am too new to make an assumption, but I agree with the advice of watching your CUC.

Whatever it is, don't freak out, the tank is new, and WILL eventually have a bloom. Just wait it out, and keep up on maintenence.

You are building an ecosystem, and if there is a huge monoculture, it will eventually kill itself. This is why you don't see rolling hills of blueberry bushes in the wild. They would eventually deplete all the required nutrients for that exact species and die off to a sustainable level.

Patience, and diligence.

Bryopsis. I have used peroxide to kill it in one of my tanks. I have seen it come back a few weeks later on 1 or 2 frag plugs, few more doses of peroxide and I haven't seen any in a month and a half. I have also read people having success by keeping the Magnesium level high, but for some reason only working when using Kent Marine Tech M. Plenty of info if you search for bryopsis and Kent Tech M (or peroxide if you want to read about that too.)

Well, its pretty widespread. I took a sample into my lab at work and looked at it under a microscope, and I believe it is bryopsis based on some additional research that I did.

In my tank (60g cube) it is only all live rocks and most on glass; it must have transferred from my old tank but I never had it this bad... I suspect since there were other algae to compete, it was kept relatively in check. I did not transfer rock but I did transfer some sump media and corals. As of right now I'm running MH 5.5 hours/day (pheonix 14k DE), skimming as wet as possible, about half a cup/ day, and running GFO.

Back