gonipora, how hard?

There a pretty delicate coral. I had no luck with one. It dies very rapidly. It got the brown jelly disease and went downhill quickly. There are several websites that specialize in that coral. The coral forum might be able to give you more information.

There is a website, goggle it.

Some poeple have decent luck. As I understand it most die within a year in captivity.

Regards,

Pat

I have had experiance, had one one live around 6 months. then went downhill in a matter of days. I wouldnt call that success.
Someone on here has them figured out, (Jenkerry) mabe ???

Most of them are doomed IME but I purchased a purple goniopora back in Feb or March that has been actually encrusting and growing onto surrounding rock.

I had an Alveopora (supposedly slightly easier) last for about a year before it rapidly died from the bottom up.

So far, the thing I have determined with both of these is this: They do best in tanks that do not have skimmers. When I had the Alveopora I did not have SPS then and did not run a skimmer. Within a month of adding a skimmer to the tank it started declining. When I purchased my current purple goniopora I had a sup-par quality skimmer on my tank and it was doing OK but once the skimmer was completely removed it started the growth.

As I have SPS and am currently in the process of moving everything into my new 125, I am going to being using a much higher quality skimmer quite soon. I will be attempting to put the goni in a similar low flow area of the tank and crossing my fingers that I will be proven wrong about their intolerance for skimmed water.

but it still needs to have enough flow to keep food and detritus from collecting in between the tentacles. I heard that is the cause of most of the brown jelly infections.

True, and too much flow will keep the polyps from coming out. I had mine in an indirect path of a powerhead at first which it did not like at all. Ever since, it has been about 10" below the powerhead intake which seems to keep it happy. There is no direct strong flow coming at it and the intake of the powerhead pulls water away from it. Opposite direction flow theory I guess...

I won't tell you any one thing in particular will work because I have not kept one beyond a year yet so I'm still trying to nail it down. Like I mentioned before though, I have noticed a direct correllation between their happiness and the presence of skimming IME. :)

i tell ya what though, they may like water that is not so sparkling clean, that maybe in direct connection with tanks with no skimming because there is a prescence of those minerals in those tanks.

In regards to flow, just move it around until it extends its tentacles and hope that he's happy. I love it when they eat though.

I have one that is pretty large. It's only been in my tank for 3 months. But Ive been reading alot on Goni's and I hope I can make it last. I have it in a perfect area for flow. Its extended all day long, and at night I make sure there is nothing b/w the tentacles when its closed up partially.

I spot feed it a mix of live phyto, oyster eggs, and crushed cyclopeeze twice a week. And my tank gets fed the same maybe once a week. There are also lots of small pods in my tank that im sure the goni eats.. (obviouslly the really small almost invisible pods.

So far it has a definately feeding response when I feed it, and it's been growing at a fast rate.

Back