Good macros for a very nutrient poor display

OUinLA

In Memoriam
Is there a good macro algae that will live in a very nutrient poor environment? I don't need it to grow rapidly. I'm just looking for something ornamental. Thanks

OUinLA,

Do you keep your calcium high? What exactly are nutrient levels in your aquarium? You might look into Halimeda and Cymopolia. Both of those algae grow well in low nutrient conditions but requrie lots of calcium. Articulate / branching calcified red algae also grow well in low nutrient, high calcium conditions. Caulerpa would probably thrive, also.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I thought that Halimeda would be ok. I'm not familiar with Cymopolia. The tank that i'm setting up will have very low nutrients because of the ZEOvit system that I will be using. It takes a photometer to find any traces of NO3 or NO4. Calcium will be around the 400 mark. I keep sps corals and clams so those levels will always be around 400. How fast do these algaes reduce calcium compared to sps corals under good lighting, flow, etc?

hve to ask. So why not just use plants to consume all the no3 or no4? After all plant life also consumes carbon dioxide and filters out toxins and heavy metals as well. But them maybe the ZEOvit system does as well.

I've had plants for 7 years (chaeto, caulerpa, ulva, etc) nothing works the same as ZEOvit. Same thing for friends/clients of mine. They've tried algae scrubbers, refugiums, sea grasses in main display, and so on. The ZEOvit system has surpassed anything they have tried in the past.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to sell ZEOvit, just expressing my viewpoint and experiences about this particular situation.

OUinLA,

I think there will be plenty of nitrogen and phosphate available for Halimeda (and related algae) to grow and thrive. It depends on a lot of factors as to how fast it grows... It is hard to say how much calcium it will consume and how fast it will do so. Just keep an eye on your calcium, especially if the algae grows very fast.

HTH,
Kevin

I second/third the halimeda recommendation, but will want to warn you that if you have hermits in your tank, you may find they eat it faster than it will grow. Mine stays controlled by my hermits.

Back