Lighting For Macroalgae/Coral Aquarium

CAfishkeeper

What lighting would you recomend for an aquarium with both red and green macroalgae plus some softcorals and gorgonians. Its seems most lights out there are for coral only aquariums, Im looking for something that will grow both macros and coral but with the daylight kind of look. Also the aquarium im using is a 20 gallon nano rimless AIO tank by JBJ and the display is 14x16x16.

Strong lighting is a key. I had no luck growing macros with a basic LED FW light when I kept a 20g version of my tank. I now have a much stronger LED designed for corals in my display tank. It’s expensive. However, macros grow like crazy in my sump using a much less expensive shop light with an LED plant grow bulb. Maybe one or 2 of these will work for you.

Here’s the bulb: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-6-5-in-1-Light-White-32-Watt-Par38-LED-Grow-Light/1001001638

I feel anything that can get near the 10k or less spectrum would be optimal (though you wouldnt have much glow, but this can be resolved by having a sunrise, sunset setting).

That said, the SmatFarm 95 watt LED has a decent white spectrum that should work. I know when I was growing Cheato, I just used a cheap LED bulb (your typical $3 soft white bulb) and it grew fine (though likely not sufficient for softies)

I am not a light guru. My tank has a ReefBreeder Photon LED and it works great but it's a reef light so it should grow anything.

Back